Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Bears crap in the woods!

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Bears crap in the woods!

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:51 pm

A law firm acting for the Digital, Culture, Media, and Sport Committee said there is a "prima facie" case that the official Vote Leave Brexit campaign violated electoral spending laws before the EU referendum.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-vo ... aws-2018-4
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Bears crap in the woods!

Postby atticus » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:05 pm

There is no law firm in England & Wales with the name mentioned in that article.

That aside, the question arise what the consequences would be if such a violation of the law is proved. As far as I can tell, there will be a Gallic shrug and a "so what?"
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:18 pm

atticus wrote:There is no law firm in England & Wales with the name mentioned in that article.

Typo? Have the names been changed to protect them from repercussions, or is the whole thing made up?

That aside, the question arise what the consequences would be if such a violation of the law is proved. As far as I can tell, there will be a Gallic shrug and a "so what?"

Very probably, but is it not criminal? Shouldn't the perpetrators face prison?
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Q1. I have no idea. ask the journal in question.

Q2. No doubt. But what would that actually achieve?
atticus

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:05 pm

Reasons why referendums are a bad idea no. 857:

I've been an election agent several times and doing the expenses always gave me sleepless nights. One one occasion I had to defend my returns in an interview under caution, which still brings me out in a cold sweat. But the consequences are set out in law and are pretty clear. A fine, possibly a trip to the slammer and, under clearly-defined circumstances, an order avoiding the election*.

There is no such legal provision as far as the referendum is concerned. Yes, people who broke the law should face justice, and yes, allegations of this kind do undermine public confidence in the result. But dreamers who believe that the result is somehow null and void should think again. As I've said in another thread if the situation is going to change it will be as a result of proper politics, it is not going to be magicked away.

*Incidentally, it is not a defence that the other side did it too.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:43 pm

atticus wrote:Q1. I have no idea. ask the journal in question.

Matrix partners may not exist, but Matrix Chambers is a fairly well known firm: I imagine that could cause trouble if it's not them that it refers to.

Q2. No doubt. But what would that actually achieve?

It would give a lot of people a jolly good laugh.
Hairyloon

Return to Brexit