Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Registered Keeper

Issues arising from our actions on the roads - including Transport.

Re: Registered Keeper

Postby atticus » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:35 pm

The list of offences that may be committed using a vehicle is a long one.
atticus

Postby Jinxer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:40 pm

atticus wrote:The list of offences that may be committed using a vehicle is a long one.

That's a proper lawyers answer lol I only want one that will be enough to satisfy my curiosity.
The vehicle is taxed, Motd, and insured on an any vehicle policy and registration document is in hand with previous keepers responsibility removed.
It's ok your children are safe, they're locked away behind barbed wire gates. If you don't comply sir they'll send you another fine sir.
Jinxer

Postby gid » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:20 pm

Traders purchase vehicles and receive the full v5 document apart from the yellow dealers slip which is filled in by the registered keeper and sent off to remove them from any liability, effectively leaving the vehicle with no registered keeper.

At that point the DVLA rescind the license and refund the previous keepers remaining overpaid tax. The new keeper has to obtain a license, or dealers can use a Trade License (plate), to legally drive on the highway.
gid

Postby Jinxer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:47 pm

Or you can just go to the post office or indeed online and tax the vehicle without having to send the v5 in.
The vehicle is taxed insured and Motd
It's ok your children are safe, they're locked away behind barbed wire gates. If you don't comply sir they'll send you another fine sir.
Jinxer

Postby Jinxer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Can anyone offer any more on this or have I found a loophole to avoid parking tickets.
Jinxer

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:38 am

It is an offence to use an incorrectly registered vehicle: s43C of the Act.

I don't drive but I see that it's a condition of my wife's insurance that the vehicle is correctly registered, so you may also be guilty of driving without insurance.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Jinxer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:57 am

That's not a condition on my insurance, I have insurance that covers me to pretty much drive any car or van no matter who owns it. I'm interested in the law surrounding what my obligation is regarding me having to register the vehicle in my name. Anything I can find lays the responsibility on the seller to update the keeper details, I can't find nothing that obligates me to have to inform DVLA that I'm the new keeper or owner if the seller has failed to. DVLA recommend to get in touch with them after a certain amount of time if you don't receive a new v5 in your name, but as far as I know recommendations aren't law.
Jinxer

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:03 am

Apart from the criminal offence to which I referred in the post above.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Jinxer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:25 am

Thank you for that I have just read s43 now and this bit is baffling me

(4)It is also a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to show—
(a)that he had reasonable grounds for believing, or that it was reasonable for him to expect, that the name and address of the keeper or the other particulars of registration (as the case may be) were correctly recorded in the register, or
(b)that any exception prescribed in regulations under this section is met

If the traders slip has been filled in and sent off by the seller would that be any exception prescribed in regulations under this section is met
Jinxer

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:27 am

That provision enables the Secretary of State by regulation to include other exemptions that are not included in the Act. So far as I can see he has not made any regulations to do so.

It might be possible to run a defence that it was reasonable to expect the register to have been updated when the trader sent in the slip, but that would be a matter of fact for the court to determine. The new keeper would expect to receive new documents within a short period and if they did not arrive it would be questionable whether that belief is still reasonable.
Smouldering Stoat

PreviousNext

Return to Road Traffic Law