Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Publicising criminals.

Re: Publicising criminals.

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:09 pm

There is no suggested justification for the second paragraph other than in the previous one.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby shootist » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:05 am

It has always interested me that newspapers can publish court results, but it seems that anyone referring to them on a later occasion might be courting trouble.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:43 pm

Dear <no names>,
We have come round to see you a number of times recently but it looks like you’d rather not speak to us, which is very disappointing.
We are a friendly bunch here at Kingston Police, I’m sure our followers will vouch for this. We take pride in reducing crime in Kingston and work hard to keep our residents safe.
We have a slight suspicion that you might be blanking us #Awkward.
You don't text, you don't call back and haven't accepted our friend request :cry: .
Our Detectives currently have you as a suspect for multiple burglaries in Kingston, where sadly vulnerable victims have been targeted - this has left them traumatised and very upset. We won’t stand for this and want to have a discussion with you at our custody suite in Kingston.
You have two options: Hand yourself in at the Police Station. or Give us a call on 101 and we’ll come and pick you up.
In the mean time, we shall be asking our friends on our social media pages to share this post which will then be seen by thousands of local people.
Our advice to them will be to call 999 if you are seen which will get a rapid response from our officers.
The public also have an option to call our Detectives directly on (07881 352381) to pass any information on in confidence.
So I’m sure you’ll understand its best to pop in or give us a call straight away.
Looking forward to seeing you soon and happy new year….
TTFN
Love Kingston Police

https://www.facebook.com/MPSKingston/ph ... =3&theater
Hairyloon

Postby dls » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:04 am

What trouble could one get into for publicising the identity of a known criminal in order to to warn people?

Are you qualified to predict that this person having been convicted once is therefore a 'threat' to others?
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby b1969 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:24 am

shootist wrote:It has always interested me that newspapers can publish court results, but it seems that anyone referring to them on a later occasion might be courting trouble.

In very brief explanation, the media have a very strong exemption from a large part of the obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998. See here for a bit more on this.

In anger to Hairy's original question Atticus is quite right to cite the DPA. This is sensitive personal data (alleged commission of an offence) and it is very difficult to argue that there is a schedule 3 condition which would legitimise the processing.
b1969

Postby dls » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:27 am

There also remains the confusion caused by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:49 am

dls wrote:
What trouble could one get into for publicising the identity of a known criminal in order to to warn people?

I think we are discussing unconvicted
Are you qualified to predict that this person having been convicted once is therefore a 'threat' to others?

I think we are discussing unconvicted criminals. At least, that was what OP was about, and, it seems the example above which revived the thread.

b1969 wrote:In anger to Hairy's original question Atticus is quite right to cite the DPA. This is sensitive personal data (alleged commission of an offence) and it is very difficult to argue that there is a schedule 3 condition which would legitimise the processing.

If all you do is publish a video of someone breaking into a place and robbing it, and make no comment other than perhaps: "do you know this man? We'd like to talk to him." then are you alleging an offence?
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:53 am

Erm, yes.
atticus

Previous

Return to Torts - Negligence, Defamation and others