Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Schengen or not

Immigration, nationality, asylum, and extradition. Visas etc.

Re: Schengen or not

Postby Russell » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Well that's not your title. Your a revenue protection officer? Or more specifically, King of the Kent revenue protection officers.
If you can't talk about the problem, how are you ever going to even start talking about the solution?
Russell

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:42 pm

No. What makes you think that?
Smouldering Stoat

Postby atticus » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:50 pm

Al, why are you getting at Stoaty again? Give it a break, will you.
atticus

Postby diy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:44 am

There are actually rather a lot of articles on this. However, the questions is not do asylum seekers get more money and the like in the UK the question is are they better off. Its culture, attitude, safety, access to welfare, jobs etc.. You can't say France is more generous because they pay 60 Euro a week and we pay 30 - you have to look at the total package.

This report discusses it.

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/assets ... chance.pdf
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Boo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:45 pm

A lot of asylum seekers do not have the right to work in the UK. They await a decision made on their application for refugee status.

During this time they are able to claim £36 a week in state benefits. Imagine living on £36 a week here. :shock:

The Government takes too long to make a decision on their status, so many go awol and take cash in the hand work. Get married. Start a family...
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby 3.14 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:59 pm

There is an important distinction here between an economic refugee and a political refugee. Back when I arrived in the UK as a political refugee, we were looked after by the community (no doubt because my father was a Freemason) as well as receiving housing, benefits and the right to work. Our passports were taken away and replaced by a UN travel document.

I see a lot of economic refugees here.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby miner » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:46 pm

I think I'd call the former "economic migrants", as they are not refugees in my view.

Well, you've sure been through quite a lot in your time, Jorge.
miner

Postby Boo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:16 pm

There are strict rules for economic migrants to adhere to while in the UK.

First, they cannot claim any benefits as soon as they get here. They have to be living here for 3 months, after which they must show they have a good chance of being hired by an employer or show they can afford to live here without being a burden to the tax payer. During this time they will need to demonstrate they have the right to reside in the UK.
Only after that, can they apply for JSA/HB. Those who are in work or self employed - tax credits etc, can claim HB.

Employment agencies have enticed EMs by offers of work only to pull the plug on the hours available. Then we are left with a situation where by those who are classed as a NRPF- nerf - (no recourse to public funds) are stuffed.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3151&p=41089&hilit=economic+migrants#p41089
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby diy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:31 pm

I imagine there will be a few more from Scotland next week
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:43 pm

Imagination can be a powerful thing.
atticus

Previous

Return to Immigration