Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Adonis

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Re: Adonis

Postby dls » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:06 pm

No, but he was very clear. As I have said he is perfectly entitled to his opinions, but those oipinons and associated intentions do disentitle him to seriosu consideration as an implementor of conflicting government policy.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:09 pm

dls wrote:No, but he was very clear. As I have said he is perfectly entitled to his opinions, but those oipinons and associated intentions do disentitle him to seriosu consideration as an implementor of conflicting government policy.

Is that not why he resigned?
I have lost what point you are making here...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby shootist » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:45 pm

Hairyloon wrote:Is that not why he resigned?

Perhaps it's that he shouldn't have taken the job in the first place.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:00 pm

shootist wrote:

When he took the job, the management were significantly less insane.
Hairyloon

Postby shootist » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:37 am

Hairyloon wrote:
shootist wrote:

That comment might depend upon the sanity, or lack of it, of the commentator.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:59 am

shootist wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:
shootist wrote:

That comment might depend upon the sanity, or lack of it, of the commentator.

Perhaps, or it could be taken as a relative measure, judged from the perspective of the gentleman in question.

But I say again that the issue here is not Brexit itself, but the utter pigs ear that the government are making of it. There is not a shred of sanity in their approach... unless the most important purpose is to get out before the anti-tax-avoidance measures come in: then it makes some sense.
Hairyloon

Postby shootist » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Hairyloon wrote:But I say again that the issue here is not Brexit itself, but the utter pigs ear that the government are making of it. There is not a shred of sanity in their approach... unless the most important purpose is to get out before the anti-tax-avoidance measures come in: then it makes some sense.

I think that the problem is the state of our politics in relation to Brexit. The government is trying to work out Brexit as best it can, but the viciousness of the opposition to Brexit leads every remoaner to oppose Brexit at any cost whatever. Their priority seems to try and wreck Brexit whatever the cost to the country. I really believe that if everyone in Parliament worked together to get Brexit going I think it would be all but done. The problems this country is experiencing are, I believe, down to the utter uncertainty that this battle has brought about.

It's the little things, like using the term 'insanity' are destructive of any democratic process.
shootist

Postby atticus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:16 pm

it might be considered pejorative or insulting, as is "remoaner".

The extreme uncompromising hard brexiteers are no better at the other end of the scale.

You might consider the new topic I have started in the Robing Room.
atticus

Postby shootist » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:32 pm

atticus wrote:it might be considered pejorative or insulting, as is "remoaner".

Remoaner might be considered an accurate depiction of those it is directed towards. A play on words about remaining in the EU is nowhere near as pejorative as allegations of insanity.

atticus wrote:The extreme uncompromising hard brexiteers are no better at the other end of the scale.

I would tend to agree, but I do believe that the remain side has been far worse in both degree and quantity, in respect of both abuse and lies. It is no defence for ten people telling ten lies to say that someone on the other side has told one. The same goes for abuse.

atticus wrote:You might consider the new topic I have started in the Robing Room.

I might.
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:14 pm

shootist wrote:The government is trying to work out Brexit as best it can...

If that is the best they can do, then they are not fit to manage a tea party. It is not rocket science to know that if you seek to embark on a quest into the unknown, with potentially very damaging consequences, then it is almost always a very good idea to stop and have a think about it before you set off.

I note that you attack the language used rather than attempt to defend the policy which justifies the use of it: is that not an example of the "virtue signalling" that you complain so much about?
Hairyloon

PreviousNext

Return to Brexit