Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Abandoned by airline Uk/eu

Abandoned by airline Uk/eu

Postby diy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:03 am

I was abandoned in the south of France by an airline on Saturday night at 11pm, when they cancelled the flight and basically told us to rebook. Except they were full until Thursday. The ground staff said we (family of 4) had to leave the airport and make our own way home.

I've spent close to £1000, taxis, hotel room, TGV, eurostar etc ( all last minute, so full price). The airline has since sent me their terms for reimbursement, which don't appear to cover everything.

I have insurance, but wondering if anyone else has been through this? Do you claim off the airline and argue or get your insurance to pick up the tab? or both. (claim and claim the outstanding loss from insurance).
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Re: Abandoned by airline Uk/eu

Postby theycantdothat » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:13 am

Whatever the position you need to look at your insurance policy and check there is no time limit for a claim. If you have little time put in a claim. In any event, the insurers should be able to advise. The policy will of course tell you what you are covered for.
theycantdothat

Postby atticus » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:40 am

I agree. Go through your insurance. Cheapo airline processes will be like a war of attrition.
atticus

Postby diy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:44 pm

Thanks. both.
diy

Postby diy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:07 am

A little update. Insurance will cover everything except compensation, airline refusing compensation as they are claiming exceptional circumstances (ATC delay pushing their crew over permitted hours). doesn't sound very exceptional to me.

I'm minded to try my hand in the county court purely because i'm still peed off at being told to find my own way home at 11pm. when you sue, do you serve papers on the registered address or do you ask them for a services address?

I've separately claimed expenses off the airline. I await their response to that claim.
diy

Postby atticus » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:52 am

Registered office.

See table in CPR 6.
atticus

Postby 3.14 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:41 pm

Registered Office is sufficient although some people go beyond that and serve the directors at home so they are very aware of it.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby diy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:23 am

There is an industry adjudicator they are signed up to use. I can appeal to them, their decisions are not legally binding but the airlines seems to accept them. I must have the air lines final response before starting my appeal. I've requested it twice now but have had no response.

i've sent a note giving 7 days to respond otherwise i'll deem that is their final response- seem reasonable?

They've reimbursed most of my expenses but it would appear that i'm able to be compensated on top
diy

Return to Contract and Consumer Law