Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

I have been ripped off, but have they legally ripped me off?

Copyright, Trade Marks, Patents, Information Law etc

Re: I have been ripped off, but have they legally ripped me

Postby blig » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:06 am

If it bothers the original poster, the Microsoft contact number for this type of thing is

+1 (800) RU-LEGIT (785-3448)

Or their UK switchboard on 0118 909 7800 might be able to connect the call if you don't like international numbers

Similar numbers exist for other firms
blig

Postby mikeylfc20 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Yes, I understand what I have bought now, and it isn't Microsoft software.

I was advertised an educational license (saying it would be fine as the full cost software, with one exception), which is true. It is exactly as what was advertised.

But I am asking, in this LAW forum, if this is LEGAL for someone to do this?

To sell a license key, in which they registered up on a website, with fake details, to get a license key - to then sell on to me?

I am asking, is this LEGAL? All I can think of is that it's breaking the website's Terms of Service, but that isn't a crime. So.. any law experts. I would really appreciate your help.
mikeylfc20

Postby atticus » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:25 pm

The seller appears to have behaved unlawfully - but haven't you gone along with it?

Is the seller UK based?
atticus - a very stable genius
atticus

Postby mikeylfc20 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:18 pm

Yes I essentially have. At first I didn't realise what was happened, but after looking into it I have realised exactly what they have done. Just signed up a student account, claimed a license key and sold me it.

It is a UK seller yes. what can I do about this? do you know specifically what law he is breaking? I will collect as much info of the legal side as I can so I can get him shut down.

Thank you
mikeylfc20

Postby atticus » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:42 pm

You could try a report to your local Trading Standards Department.
atticus - a very stable genius
atticus

Postby diy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:50 pm

I answered your question:

diy wrote:Yes they have falsely claimed a license that you weren't entitled to ..

Company A writes some software. They allow Students subject to a verification process to claim Educational versions for free.
Person B offers to sell company A's educational version for £50. Company A has not authorised Person B.
Person C pays B for the version, knowing that he doesn't meet the license criteria
Person B defrauds Company A, by falsifying Licensee details to obtain a License worth £1000s for free.

Person C - is using the software without a valid License if he doesn't meet the criteria - Company A may have a civil claim against Person C.
Person B - has committed fraud, obtaining by deception. A criminal offence, he may also have breached the copyright design and patents act by selling a license he has no right to sell. A has a claim against B.

Copyright design and patent act Chapter 6. Details their claim against you, should they be bothered.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/19 ... chapter/VI
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Previous

Return to Intellectual Property