Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Do I Share A Patent?

Copyright, Trade Marks, Patents, Information Law etc

Do I Share A Patent?

Postby NeverRemembers » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:24 pm

Friend of mine recently started work in a new (to him) field, I work in a similar field but covering different sectors.

In his field, there is a particular company who has the majority of the market in a particular application for a safety device. His company want to do something similar, but make it different enough so that they can patent it as their own, and not have to purchase these particular parts from the market leader. He has figured out a potential way to make a 'new' version, but was unsure of the logistics of how to make it work in this way. I suggested a particular way that this could be achieved, which (unbeknownst to me) he had considered a particular part of my idea, but was unsure how to put it into practice. It seems that there is a good chance between the pair of us we have figured out a way to (hopefully) get it unique enough to make an alternative to the market leader, but one which his company could manufacture.

Am I urinating in the wind here? The extent of my input is a crude drawing of the components, plus some WhatsApp chat logs and photographs.
NeverRemembers

Re: Do I Share A Patent?

Postby dls » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:29 pm

Talk to a patent agent. He will know the exact questions to ask after listening to the rather greater detail needed to give an answer.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:59 pm

First of all, the patent must be applied for. Will you friend agree that the patent application should be made in your joint names?
atticus

Postby diy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:08 pm

Would he also need to consider the issue of being an employee?

I wondering if others may claim the IP even if the design is not disputed by the market leader?
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Return to Intellectual Property