Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Eviction in case of illegal renting

Re: Eviction in case of illegal renting

Postby diy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:47 pm

What size is this room?

It sounds very dangerous - i wonder if he's properly protected the electrics for your room? Electric hobs can put a lot of load on the cables and there is a risk if this hasn't been checked and tested by a professional.

An outbuilding that is used as a dwelling isn't an outbuilding.

If your landlord is such a great guy can't he rent you a room in his house instead?
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby south1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:23 pm

The room is quite big because it is about 25 meter square

After the visit from the inspector from the council the electricity has not been cut because too dangerous. It seems that there is only a problem with the boiler and the hot plates

Yes maybe my landlord can offer me a room inside his house. However the privacy will not be the same I used not to share any facilities with anyone. Moreover my legal status will not be the same because I would be a lodger and as a consequence my landlord will be able to evict me without any court proceedings
south1

Postby diy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:07 am

An induction hob and fan heater would be a lot safer that electric hob and gas fired central heating. As your room is over 15m2 it also has to be substantially non-combustible if building control is to be avoided. But this doesn't, get round the fact that he's using an outbuilding as a dwelling.

if you have a valid assured tenancy then he needs to serve you proper notice (2 months) and then get a court order if you won't go.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Previous

Return to Landlord and Tenant Law