Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Fire Safety - Landlord Obligations

Fire Safety - Landlord Obligations

Postby diy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:15 am

I appreciate we probably can't get in to discussions about the potential liability of a landlord for fire safety of a typical buy to let flat. But I was thinking.. My motorhome, boats, my own home etc all have fire extinguishes and blankets fitted. I don't recall any of my let out properties having extinguishers in the hall ways or even smoke detectors (the apartments have detectors).

They would have complied with building regs at the time, but I'm wondering for a small investment, I could provide my tenants withs some basic fire safety kit.

Am I better to advice him what to consider purchasing, and offer to cover the cost or purchasing it and asking to install it. I'm thinking the former is better, as I'd rather not get in to the maintenance, failure etc of any device. I'd prefer to replace them periodically.
My suggestions are not legal advice
User avatar
diy
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: Fire Safety - Landlord Obligations

Postby atticus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:27 am

I see no difference between the two approaches. If you are going to fund the purchase, you are going to have to take responsibility for maintenance.

I think you need to fit smoke detectors in your rental empire; it may well be illegal not to. Have a look around Tessa Shepperson's landlordlaw site. I expect that is currently a busy place.
User avatar
atticus
 
Posts: 19507
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: E&W

Re: Fire Safety - Landlord Obligations

Postby diy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:37 pm

its the common area that doesn't have smoke alarms. my flats have both types fitted. There is no requirement for any fire safety features beyond any supplied furniture and furnishings. I'd expect that to change soon.
My suggestions are not legal advice
User avatar
diy
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Re: Fire Safety - Landlord Obligations

Postby steve » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:42 pm

If there is a fire in an apartment, the person who spots the fire should raise the alarm with others in the apartment, get out (and stay out) and then call the fire brigade.

On my recent H&S for managers course the chap poo pooed the idea of providing fire extinguishers to people who are not also trained to use them. This would be in a real test and not just a video demonstration. In the basic 3-yearly online training I am required to remember which of the 4 colours of extinguishers should be used for which type of fire. The memory fades once I have got 80% or more for the multiple choice test at the end.

My understanding is that the landlord should supply a smoke alarm per floor (within a flat, I assume) and is responsible for testing it at the start of a brand new tenancy. The tenant is responsible for testing during the tenancy.
steve
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:59 am

Re: Fire Safety - Landlord Obligations

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:58 pm

steve wrote:In the basic 3-yearly online training I am required to remember which of the 4 colours of extinguishers should be used for which type of fire. The memory fades once I have got 80% or more for the multiple choice test at the end...

That says more about you than the test: I still remember from when I learned it in the boy scouts. However, most domestic fire extinguishers don't follow the code anyway.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 9907
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Fire Safety - Landlord Obligations

Postby steve » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:27 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
steve wrote:In the basic 3-yearly online training I am required to remember which of the 4 colours of extinguishers should be used for which type of fire. The memory fades once I have got 80% or more for the multiple choice test at the end...

That says more about you than the test: I still remember from when I learned it in the boy scouts. However, most domestic fire extinguishers don't follow the code anyway.


So you claim to remember the code but don't believe that it applies to certain fire extinguishers. That sounds even worse to me.

What colour is required for a flame-war by the way?
steve
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:59 am

Re: Fire Safety - Landlord Obligations

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:40 pm

steve wrote:So you claim to remember the code but don't believe that it applies to certain fire extinguishers. That sounds even worse to me.


Take a look: these are all red.
I expect the code applies to extinguishers over a certain size, and/or to those fire extinguishers required by regulations.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 9907
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Fire Safety - Landlord Obligations

Postby steve » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
steve wrote:So you claim to remember the code but don't believe that it applies to certain fire extinguishers. That sounds even worse to me.


Take a look: these are all red.
I expect the code applies to extinguishers over a certain size, and/or to those fire extinguishers required by regulations.


Well there you are, you didn't know :D .

While they are mainly painted red you need to look for the coloured bar - red for water, blue for powder, black for CO2 etc. (ignore the dodgy looking Tundra one which looks like a US import).
steve
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:59 am

Re: Fire Safety - Landlord Obligations

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:49 pm

steve wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:
steve wrote:So you claim to remember the code but don't believe that it applies to certain fire extinguishers. That sounds even worse to me.


Take a look: these are all red.
I expect the code applies to extinguishers over a certain size, and/or to those fire extinguishers required by regulations.


Well there you are, you didn't know :D .

I didn't say I knew, I said I remembered. Is not my fault that they have since introduced the idea of stripes.
Take me to your lizard...
User avatar
Hairyloon
 
Posts: 9907
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 pm
Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Fire Safety - Landlord Obligations

Postby steve » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:31 am

Is not my fault that they have since introduced the idea of stripes.


Thanks for validating my H&S trainer's advice that you don't put fire extinguishers in the hands of those who are untrained.
steve
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:59 am

Next

Return to Landlord and Tenant Law

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest