Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Alteration of tenancy argreement

Re: Alteration of tenancy argreement

Postby tph » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Why is it not hygenic to let dogs into supermarkets?
tph

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:52 am

Because they spread zoonotic disease. The point is that sometimes things which are, on balance, generally to be prohibited, may be permitted for people with disabilities because the risk is outweighed by their need for an appropriate adjustment.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby diy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:43 am

I think the bit that has been missed is he is probably on an assured shorthold tenancy agreement or had one and is now on a rolling agreement, therefore terms during the fixed term cannot be amended without agreement, but they could serve him notice to quit with 2 months notice if he's on a rolling agreement.

Or did I miss something?

The other angle they might be taking is a general clause not to keep or do anything dangerous. He might be able to defend that but arguing that they are properly kept.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:06 pm

He's on an Assured Tenancy according to the OP, not an AST, and that fits with the description of him having some security of tenure. He also refers specifically to an alteration to the terms of the tenancy.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby diy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:24 pm

So I did miss something - thank you
diy

Postby shootist » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:51 pm

What this tenant is doing is perfectly safe and perfectly legal. Imagine if the home visit discovered a huge collection of assorted dildos and the owners sought to ban their use as they thought that the toys, or he, might be dangerous. The owners are looking to restrict his private life for no good reason. Or what if the owners decided that no tenant may keep or consume alcohol on the premises, or smoke there? When do such intrusions cross a line?

Just out of interest, as dogs have been mentioned, the tenant is barred from keeping a dog in his flat. A couple of floors up, the resident has apparently bought the leasehold on his flat and has a couple of dogs.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby diy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:35 pm

I may be a landlord (owning freehold) a leaseholder or a tenant, just because I own the freehold doesn't mean I have a right to breach the terms of the leasehold which I may have also signed. Those terms (about dogs) may also apply for the benefit of other leaseholders. I might also be a tenant to a leasholder where the leasehold doesn't say I can't have dogs, but my tenancy agreement does.

Who you get to enforce the terms is entirely dependent on who/how they were added.
diy

Postby atticus » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:10 pm

Tenancy agreements may prohibit things which are not otherwise unlawful. Keeping pets is one example. Others include smoking, consuming alcohol, supporting Arsenal and keeping firearms.
atticus

Postby tph » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:42 pm

I think it is basically the landlords employee deciding they do not like something so they are going to ban it, because they can.
tph

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:56 pm

And why do you think that?
Smouldering Stoat

PreviousNext

Return to Landlord and Tenant Law