Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Release From Joint AST

Re: Release From Joint AST

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:52 pm

They don't need to register per se, but it's a criminal offence for them not to be a member of a property redress scheme.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Big_Trev » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:01 am

I was paying the deposit monthly but they are now telling my deposit was not a deposit but instead an insurance policy and there would have been no deposit to return regardless if there was nothing that needed replacing
Big_Trev

Postby diy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:36 am

orally or in writing? - get them to start emailing you this stuff - its priceless.

I do zero deposit for rentals because I genuinely don't want the hassle of the scheme. You have to be very careful and totally straight about the deposit otherwise a court will just see that you are avoiding the law.

So you are paying a mandatory insurance policy as an alternative to the deposit? What was written in the AST about deposits? Why would you agree to purchase insurance that provided you with zero benefit? Have you seen the policy document or terms? Are they properly authorised to sell insurance? It is a regulated industry.

You Should read http://swarb.co.uk/ayannuga-v-swindells-ca-6-nov-2012/

but also google it as there is good advice for your ex.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Previous

Return to Landlord and Tenant Law