Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Lodger Agreement

Re: Lodger Agreement

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:35 am

Do I sense a general feeling across the board that this is a badly written document? Do I need a "very" in that last sentence?

And this is the one recommended by government agencies?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby theycantdothat » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:16 am

Since I am a conveyancer I restrict myself to saying that it is not entirely satisfactory.
theycantdothat

Postby atticus » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:28 am

Yes, I fell into the trap of confusing Tenant and Lodger.
atticus

Postby lepton » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:56 pm

Yes I think the document is originally designed for social housing tenants who wish to take in a lodger.

In any case, ignoring the issue regarding the deposit or the Early Termination clause, would you agree that the Terms and Conditions section worded
"This Agreement is personal to the Lodger and is not assignable. It will terminate automatically with no notices if the Lodger ceases to reside at the Property, or fails to make two or more of the payments that are due."
is clearly worded and can be taken to mean:
A - By vacating the property the lodger can bring the agreement to an end, such that
B - No future rent payments would be due (assuming there are no rent arrears and the property was vacated within a rent period that had been paid)
?
lepton

Postby theycantdothat » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:38 pm

lepton wrote:...and can be taken to mean:
A - By vacating the property the lodger can bring the agreement to an end, such that
B - No future rent payments would be due (assuming there are no rent arrears and the property was vacated within a rent period that had been paid)
?

Yes as to both, though whether "rent" paid for any period after vacation is refundable is moot if the arrangement is a licence.
theycantdothat

Previous

Return to Landlord and Tenant Law