Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Legal right to request information from housing association

Legal right to request information from housing association

Postby jaimito » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:43 pm

hi,

i hope you are all well!

I have searched and searched but i cannot find the answer to my question!

if a neighbour is making false complaints to my housing association about me [in this case a false allegation of subletting which I have proven is incorrect] - do i have the legal right to find out who this is? I want it to be on record that the complainant is not to be trusted.

If so can you point me in the right direction of the statute/process/case law/example letter?

Thanks in advance!

Jaimito
jaimito

Re: Legal right to request information from housing associat

Postby Hairyloon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:15 pm

If you do not know who it is, then how do you know that they are not to be trusted?
You cannot make that assumption from just the report: it may be founded in an honest mistake...
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby jaimito » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:38 pm

HI, thanks for the advice!

I know who it is but I cannot prove it. The person has made other incorrect accusations of noise, illegal parking etc. etc. about other residents and basically has too much time on her hands.

My question is do I have the legal right to find out officially who is the complainant whether or not it was done in good or bad faith?

It's just in case of future allegations made against myself and/or other tenants.

Thanks!

Jaimito
jaimito

Postby 3.14 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:13 am

It doesn't sound as if you need to make any such accusation yourself. It sounds like the council already that she is a source of false/unreliable accusations.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby b1969 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:40 am

You have a legal right to ask. Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 entitles you, in terms, to require the Housing Association (HA) to say whether it is processing your personal data (and if so, for what purposes) and to provide you with the information it holds about you. There is a good argument that any complaints made about you would be covered under this right.

However, it may not be the case that the HA would be required to disclose the identity of the person making the complaints. They might choose to say that such information did not fall into the category of your own personal data, or they might also say it was not reasonable in all the circumstances to disclose it to you.

But it may be worth asking. Guidance here.
b1969

Return to Landlord and Tenant Law