Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Varying Height Boundary Fence - Simple or Not Simple?

Land, Registered Land, Planning law etc.

Re: Varying Height Boundary Fence - Simple or Not Simple?

Postby robinmasters » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:06 pm

diy wrote:You don't need 6-8 cameras, you need 2 - one visible on the approach one internal. Current cams film in utra HD or HD and the software that comes with them (e.g. synology surveillance station) allows some very sophisticated options (for example alerting you only when movement is detected in a certain part of the camera's view). Power over ethernet (e.g. hikvision £100-145 each), connected to a home NAS, synchronising to a secondary encrypted cloud drive. change from £800 including the server (which is around £400), which you can use for many other things (streaming music, movies, backing up photos). If you are going to have them recording to a DVR then I agree its pointless. You can actually get cheaper options which use wifi and stream to your phone. I installed mine for £300 - two cameras, some cat-6 and an 8 port PoE switch. I already had the servers.

Scumbags can spot a dummy cam easily. For a start they tend not to have an IR glow at night. Advice is have them installed about 7-10 feet up. You should never look at home security with the view that one thing will work over another. Its very much about a combination of deterrents, some visible, some hidden.

Superb, knowledgeable advice. Thanks.
robinmasters

Postby atticus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Friends of ours recently got a surveillance camera system. It sends reports to a mobile phone whenever movement is detected. They have lots of pictures of cats. And a massive broadband bill.
atticus

Postby 3.14 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:30 pm

Broadband is a fixed cost usually. :D
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby atticus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:32 pm

Often; not always.

Some companies' terms include a right to charge more if usage goes above what they deem to be 'fair use', even with 'unlimited' use broadband.
atticus

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:43 pm

And all that mobile data...
Smouldering Stoat

Postby diy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:06 am

even the cheap cams from lidl at £40 can be customised.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Previous

Return to Land Law