Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Shared drains - any pitfalls?

Land, Registered Land, Planning law etc.

Re: Shared drains - any pitfalls?

Postby diy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:36 am

Getting permission to infill in the way you describe is probably a bigger challenge, particularly if you are planning on turning your neighbours end of terrace house (presumably with windows) in to a mid-terrace house.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby daffy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:29 pm

I may have missed something but I thought that since 2011 shared drains on private land are the responsibilities of the water companies? https://conservatoryinstaller.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/are-you-aware-the-regulations-for-the-responsibility-of-sewers-and-lateral-drains-are-changing-on-1-october-2011/

Last time my shared private sewer flooded Thames water cleared it in no time for free. It did not matter where the blockage was as the tools used can be extended to reach a long way down the pipe

Some houses in my terrace have extensions that sit on the shared sewer. I assume that, if they were layd properly in the first place, there should not be a problem since the worst that can happen is a blockage and blockages can be cleared as long as there is a manhole somewhere along the sewer?
daffy

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:59 am

daffy wrote:I may have missed something but I thought that since 2011 shared drains on private land are the responsibilities of the water companies? https://conservatoryinstaller.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/are-you-aware-the-regulations-for-the-responsibility-of-sewers-and-lateral-drains-are-changing-on-1-october-2011/

I may have misread that, but I understood it to mean that the water companies took responsibility for existing shared drains, I did not think it meant that any future drains would necessarily become so, or if it does, then I would expect you would have to meet their requirements.

It would be worth talking to them either way: they may not be obliged to take on the drain, but they might be persuaded to.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby tph » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:10 pm

raine wrote:- I've thought of a third option (hybrid of options 1 & 2), which may be the most preferable, which is to run new private drains under each house, then join them together at the final man hole, with a shared connection into the main sewer in the street. That seems to be the most common way of doing shared drains.

This would be the best option. If you speak with your water company and build the shared manhole to there adoptable standards you may be able to get them to adopt the manhole and the lateral connection which should resolve any legal issues.
tph

Previous

Return to Land Law