Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Wall knocked over

Land, Registered Land, Planning law etc.

Re: Wall knocked over

Postby atticus » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:35 pm

No doubt the OP can clarify. It appears that clarity is needed.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:36 pm

I concur with Millbrook.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby circlemaker » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:59 pm

Yes completely correct Millbrook in all aspects.
circlemaker

Postby atticus » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:34 pm

In which case the people who removed the bricks (and possibly did further damage) would appear to have a liability to contribute.
atticus

Postby circlemaker » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:43 pm

OK so how should I react to the demand from the commercial business who have issued the £180 bill for removal of bricks without consulting us and claiming it was H&S concern, should I just ignore them? Should I write to them and repeat they have unlawfully removed bricks which were not their property and they have a link to the damage? I should also make note that the original wall was of a different brink type than the previous repair, somewhat making the the repair which we were going to undertake a little difficult to match the new repair bricks now they have been taken, although I do have a photograph.
circlemaker

Postby blig » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:17 pm

I'm wondering if the business owner approached the owner of the wall and sought permission from them before removing the bricks. If they did, their action in removing the bricks seems to make more sense. For example if they determined the wall was more damaged than believed and had to make the damaged wall safe to prevent it falling.

I'd go round and talk to the business owner, to try and negotiate it down. This dispute is only over £180 and any escalation will cost more. The value of a small bag of allegedly broken bricks which the business owner should have perhaps returned isn't that much in the scheme of things.
blig

Postby shootist » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:22 pm

Hairyloon wrote:I struggle to imagine what H&S risk can be had from a wall three bricks high.

Clearly, you are not a lawyer.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby circlemaker » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:34 pm

Right, I spoke to the owner of the wall this evening, and it seems there is a little more to this than meets the eye. The owner of the land had the wall built on their land without consent from the commercial premises. When the bricks were removed they had a knock at the door by someone who asked if it was alright to tidy up the bricks - the owner thought I had organised this and so agreed, but no charges were spoken about or agreed. The commercial premises it appears gave the go ahead to the builder as they built the wall albeit without consent and have been charged for the removal and disposal of the bricks which they are now demanding we pay. My thoughts are as we were not contacted we shouldn't pay, however I feel that this could blow up into something far beyond the hassle its worth and am suggesting I post an advert on find a builder to get a quote for removal and disposal of the bricks and perhaps offer 50% of that charge in light of not agreeing to it in the first place and the fact that the quotes we got originally were for reusing the bricks which are now going to be more as we have to cover the cost of new materials. Does that sound fair? I am keen to make this work but the commercial premises appear to be assuming I am going to pay for un-agreed work which we had no intention of commissioning from a builder who's based a long way from the actual location.
circlemaker

Postby blig » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:51 pm

I think that reasoning is likely to prolong and escalate the disagreement. A four foot wall of three bricks deep is only about 12 bricks above ground; if a used brick costs 65p, you've only lost £8 in materials with the bricks not being returned. The business owner was concerned about the safety of the broken wall caused by an accident for which you accepted responsibility.

One to talk through and find an amicable solution with the business owner.
blig

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:05 pm

blig wrote:A four foot wall of three bricks deep is only about 12 bricks above ground...

And takes about an hour to clear up, including tea breaks and nap time... then all they need do is judge how much money is little enough to be not worth the hassle of a neighbour dispute.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

PreviousNext

Return to Land Law