Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Wall knocked over

Land, Registered Land, Planning law etc.

Wall knocked over

Postby circlemaker » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi, I was on someone elses commercial property and rolled over the neighbours land slightly and knocked over a section the neighbours wall. I told the business as I thought it was their wall, however they said it was not and it was the property next door. The piece of wall was approximately 3 bricks high and 4ft long and was left on the owners/neighbours land. I contacted them to say I would get quotes to rebuild using the old bricks which they agreed to. We receive a bill of £180 and an accompanying letter from the business which says in the interest of health and safety such and such has removed the section of the wall. I was not contacted by either the owner of the wall or the business to say it was an issue or would we remove it. The letter also states that the business wishes to be shown the quotes to ensure that the wall will be built exactly as it was previously. What should my course of action be as it seems a little like something is happening here which should not be. Neither the business or the owner of the wall have been shown a response yet.
circlemaker

Re: Wall knocked over

Postby atticus » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:04 pm

You caused damage; you should remedy it. We cannot say whether what you did made what was left unsafe requiring more work than you appear to have thought. If that is correct, it is your responsibility.

Negotiate/agree with the owner.
atticus

Postby circlemaker » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:13 pm

well yes I understand it is my responsibility to remedy it, but surely it has nothing to do with the business who has issued the health and safety concern and issued me with the bill of £180 to remove something I could have done if anyone had said it needed to be done. The wall which was knocked over was on the owners residential land. I am concerned that 1) They should have had me agree or asked me to remove it 2) They have decided it was H&S issue rather than someone with any officialdom 3) We had planned to reuse the bricks to emulate the exact wall. We asked for and got two quotes which were £220 and £190 each, so in terms of you thinking I have underestimated the amount of work done thats simply incorrect. I do know from the owner that the wall is continually being knocked over by clients of the adjoining property.
circlemaker

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:16 pm

atticus wrote:You caused damage; you should remedy it.

He appears to have offered a remedy and it appears that the offer was accepted.
We cannot say whether what you did made what was left unsafe requiring more work than you appear to have thought. If that is correct, it is your responsibility.

I struggle to imagine what H&S risk can be had from a wall three bricks high.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:22 pm

To the OP, I repeat that you should negotiate/agree something with the owner.

Are you insured for this damage?
atticus

Postby circlemaker » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:26 pm

No well this is my concern that there was no H&S concern for the business since the wall wasn't knocked over on their land. Plus the £180 bill seems a little high for removal of say at an estimate 35 bricks - which we needed to rebuild the wall....Yes the offer to remedy was accepted by the owner of the wall.
circlemaker

Postby circlemaker » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi Atticus, yes I agreed to rebuild the wall with the owner and they accepted that I would get quotes. We got two quotes, I am struggling with the business and their involvement with it as it appears they have butted in and are issuing me a bill for something overpriced and that is not within their jurisdiction.
circlemaker

Postby atticus » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:31 pm

It is their wall, their property, their jurisdiction. Talk to them, agree something.
atticus

Postby Millbrook2 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:29 pm

Have I understood this correctly;

1. You were on the property of the business
2. You knocked over a wall on neighbouring land
3. The bricks that were knocked over remained on the neighbouring land not that of the property
4. When you contacted the owner of the neighbouring land and agreed to reinstate they did not raise concern over the bricks remaining there.
5. The business property owners went onto the neighbours land (trespass?) and removed the bricks (theft) without permission of the owners.
6. You do not have access to the bricks which were knocked down.
7. If so are you going to have to replace the whole wall at greater expense.
Millbrook2

Postby Millbrook2 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:30 pm

atticus wrote:It is their wall, their property, their jurisdiction. Talk to them, agree something.

If I have read the OP correctly (see above) that is not the case on all 3 counts.
Millbrook2

Next

Return to Land Law