Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Wall knocked over

Land, Registered Land, Planning law etc.

Re: Wall knocked over

Postby dls » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:24 pm

Talk to the owner of the neighbouring land. Is he happy with the physical situation as it now exists?

If he is happy, pay the bill and get on with your life. Whether it was right or wrong (probably wrong), it is not a huge expense, and it could cost you far far more both financially and in business reputation to have a fight.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:19 am

dls wrote:If he is happy, pay the bill and get on with your life. Whether it was right or wrong (probably wrong), it is not a huge expense, and it could cost you far far more both financially and in business reputation to have a fight.

Or you could wait for a formal threat of a fight.
The argument applies equally if not more so to the company, and they can probably bear the cost more easily than OP.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:21 am

circlemaker wrote:I do know from the owner that the wall is continually being knocked over by clients of the adjoining property.

I missed this before.
If it has happened before, then the company should have known at the time that it was a H&S issue (if it actually was) and informed OP of that at the time in order to give him the opportunity to deal with it.

It seems to me that somebody has got a healthy scam going on...
Hairyloon

Postby circlemaker » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:22 pm

ok further info is as follows - got the wall repaired today. The business agreed and said they thought the bill was a bit high when we questioned its cost. We thought we should have been consulted before the bricks were taken away since all quotes we had for building the wall included removal of said felled wall. The way I see it is we have put right the wall by rebuilding it as we said we would, at the time I offered to remove the wall pieces (forgot to add that part) and they said no. Now I have been issued a bill to pay which is not an invoice to me but the business from the builder who took the wall pieces (who it turns out did the repair the last time the wall was knocked over) so unless I am very much misreading the situation I should not be liable to pay an invoice not made out to me, for work which I did not agree to, which has increased the cost of the work I got done and it would appear they have cooked up the health and safety rubbish in order to try and use as leverage to get me to part with cash for their error on the back of me knocking over a wall they built without permission on their neighbours land. I think I have been more than fair about this without shelling out another £180 which might not sound like much but in principle (and financially for me at this time) is beyond being reasonable.
circlemaker

Postby dls » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:42 am

You knocked the wall over. In any business you will find regular choices between concentrating on the way ahead and making money, and wasting time and effort on a small but annoying matter.

The cost of avoiding your real work by wasting time on this will be rather more than the sum at issue. Suck it up and move on with as much grace as you can.
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:48 pm

dls wrote:The cost of avoiding your real work by wasting time on this will be rather more than the sum at issue...

It costs nothing to ignore an invoice for work you did not ask for. Or it only costs a stamp to tell them to shove it.
Of course, if they get any more serious about it, then it could potentially cost more, but I think you suggest to fold to early.
Hairyloon

Postby dls » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:30 pm

I suggest what I would do to anyone. Concentrate on your business first. He knocked the wall over.
dls
Site Admin

Postby circlemaker » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:32 am

thanks for all the advice. I prefer to ignore the letter asking for payment for work they organised without my consent. The wall has been repaired by my builder. I think they should just suck it up and rather than waste everyone's time, ask their builder to justify the £180 price tag which it also turns out they did not realise they were going to be charged for. I think the best they can expect from me is that we pay some of the charge, which I'll suggest if they start to get "funny" about it.
circlemaker

Postby diy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:01 am

I'm curious - how long between damage to remedy?
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Previous

Return to Land Law