Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Neighbour and right of way

Land, Registered Land, Planning law etc.

Neighbour and right of way

Postby Horticgirl » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:08 pm

Could I please ask for opinions. This is related to a previous thread of mine but the shortest of summary is:

We have a holiday cottage.
Neighbour has a right of way over part of the driveway to access his house.
Neighbour has historically tried to make difficulties for guests in the past. One example was discussed at length here when he repeatedly opened our gate when a guest wanted it shut.

Today he has banged in the door and shouted at our guests causing them to be quite upset. They had , accidentally , left the gate locked so that he couldn't easily get in, although he obviously managed somehow!

My question is this. Can I tell him that he is not to come banging and shouting at my guests? The only way I can think of is by telling him he must not come up to my door. ( he could yell at them from his garden as they passed but I somehow doubt he would ). He has a right to "pas and repass" but for the purpose of getting to his own house and not for visiting mine. That, I am guessing is just a licence like any one else, which I can revoke. Is that right? I have told him in the past that he should come to me with any problems and as he has my mobile number and email address there is little that couldn't be sorted out that way.

Many thanks.
Horticgirl

Re: Neighbour and right of way

Postby atticus » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:14 pm

I suggest a note for your guests about the gate.
atticus

Postby dls » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:44 pm

That, I am guessing is just a licence like any one else, which I can revoke. Is that right? I have told him in the past that he should come to me with any problems and as he has my mobile number and email address there is little that couldn't be sorted out that way.

Sounds right
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Slartibartfast » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:35 pm

Horticgirl wrote:My question is this. Can I tell him that he is not to come banging and shouting at my guests? The only way I can think of is by telling him he must not come up to my door. ( he could yell at them from his garden as they passed but I somehow doubt he would ). He has a right to "pas and repass" but for the purpose of getting to his own house and not for visiting mine. That, I am guessing is just a licence like any one else, which I can revoke. Is that right? I have told him in the past that he should come to me with any problems and as he has my mobile number and email address there is little that couldn't be sorted out that way.

You could try revoking his right to knock on the door and discuss any urgent concerns with the people staying there. But if he pays no heed to your revocation, there isn't much scope for enforcing it. I think your best option is to be more accessible and responsive if he has a grievance, so that he will come to you directly.
"Judicial tergiversation is not to be encouraged"
Slartibartfast

Postby dls » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:57 am

Boo-like wisdom.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Horticgirl » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:05 am

Thanks all.

We do leave very clear details about how everything works in the cottage, including the gate and the neighbours right of way. Mostly they are followed but there are always things that guests don't get right - the recycling system is the most common - but as an owner you have to roll with it (unless you're prepared to impose draconian deposit holding rules).

The fact is that they, the guests , made an innocent mistake. Forgiveable. He deliberately retaliated by haranguing them rather than perhaps popping a note through the door asking them to take more care - or contacting me to deal with it.

But words of wisdom noted. Will approach accordingly, thank you.
Horticgirl

Return to Land Law