Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

lost my job due to an investigation

All matters involving criminal law

Re: lost my job due to an investigation

Postby 3.14 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:19 pm

wrongplace wrote:Thanks for that. I fully understand that the employer has the right to dismiss me.

My question actually is, it it normal practice for the police to call my employer and tell them this before even being found guilty for anything. Or was it simply ol the case of checking my bank accounts and I happen to work there (which the police wouldn't have known at the time ) as I've only started the job.
I would lay money on the fact that the Police on realising that you worked for the bank, informed them of said arrest. The bank is fully entitled to dismiss you. even if you had been there more than two years, you would have been dismissed, albeit after a proper internal investigation.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby Rick Ape » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:01 pm

Is it normal practice? No
Is it that you happen to work there? Probably

However, are the police the only ones that knew of your arrest? Probably not

Without the details (which is not an invitation) it's impossible to say how your ex-employer became aware - have you asked?
Rick Ape

Postby wrongplace » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks for that guys. It come to light the police contacted the bank possibly to check my bank accounts. This lead to an internal investigation. Which lead to the bank informing th agency I'm working through as a contractor to dismiss me. Due to this I now face damages for their losses to pay to the agency as I didn't inform them of the arrest.

I must point out I am not actually employed. I work as a limited company through the agency for the bank (contractor)
wrongplace

Postby atticus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:24 pm

Then what liability can you have to anyone? Surely any liability rests with your limited company.

And your company can dismiss you for bringing it into disrepute!
atticus

Postby wrongplace » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:56 pm

It's because my limited company went through an associate company to provide a service for the client. Their abit like an agency who I got a 12 months contract with. As I was unable to complete the 12 months contracts they've claimed damages for their losses.
wrongplace

Postby atticus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:40 pm

Against whom has this claim been brought? Against you, Mr W Rongplace? Against your company, Wrong Place Ltd? If the former, why?
atticus

Postby wrongplace » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:21 pm

My limited company
wrongplace

Postby atticus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:25 pm

Has the company got any assets?
atticus

Postby wrongplace » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:27 pm

The letter I received from the company I went through sent ne a kwtter sna stated this in relation to damages...

The reason for the termination of the Agreement is that your Associate Company proved unsatisfactory to the Client. Specifically, the Client was informed that the Contractor you provided was charged with a drug offence.

The above Agreement requires you to disclose to XYZ (the agency ) if you are charged with a criminal offence, and to notify it of any change in the circumstances of the Contractor you are providing that would affect his/her suitability to provide Consultancy Services to the Client. You did not do this.

As the Agreement was terminated under clause 10.2, clause 10.3 now applies. This allows XYZ to claim damages from you for any losses it suffers, either directly or indirectly, due to your, or your Contractor’s, actions or inactions. These losses amount to £XXXX. This amount will be retained from your final invoice, as provided for by clause 8.8.
wrongplace

Postby wrongplace » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:28 pm

atticus wrote:Has the company got any assets?

no aside from that invoice. I got terminated before I got going
wrongplace

PreviousNext

Return to Crime