Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

lost my job due to an investigation

All matters involving criminal law

lost my job due to an investigation

Postby wrongplace » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:12 am

To cut the long story short. I was arrested for drug dealing. However that was because I was present where the whole situation happened ie raid etc. As I was there I was also arrested. Despite not being the target or anything.

My lawyer will be applying for a dismissal. As I have never had any involvement with this sort of thing in my entire life. So my plea was also dismissal.

Now the issue is, I work for a bank in the head quarters. I have been working in banking for a number of years. But I have only started this one recently. A few weeks ago. So I've not received any wages etc from them.

I have now been dismissed from the bank as the police have contacted them and informed them of my charge and I have been arrested. I haven't even been found guilty of anything ??? How could they do this ?

Tbh I only joined this bank recently so I'm surprised the police even know I worked here.as I was arrested 2 months ago. As I did provide the police my bank details. Could it be possible they contacted the bank to check my accounts and provided that information? Therefore the bank did an internal investigation and realised I also work in the head quarters? Hense my dismissal? I know this is all assumptions but I am very unsure if the police can even do this ? Which has cost me my job.
wrongplace

Re: lost my job due to an investigation

Postby atticus » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:20 pm

Without knowing how this came about, and therefore what happened, it is not possible to say whether what happened should not have happened.

With less than 2 years' service in this employment, your employer can dismiss you pretty much at its pleasure.
atticus

Postby gid » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:06 pm

I would expect bank head office staff to be vetted, or at least security cleared, and to be found associating with drug dealers would put that clearance in jeopardy, never mind the media headlines and bank reputation damage that could have resulted from the story.
gid

Postby dls » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:21 pm

It is indeed a very unfortunate position to be in, but an employer is free to dismiss for any (non-discriminatory) reason or none until you have established a right not to be dismissed.

If you are still under investigation, your confidence will not be shared by the bank, and gid correctly points to additional elements they will allow for.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Rick Ape » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:30 pm

The OP asks "How could they do this?"

Most, if not all, drug trafficking investigations will have a Proceeds of Crime financial investigation as well. It *may* be that the police made lawful and reasonable enquiries in to your bank accounts which are coincidentally held by your employer.
Rick Ape

Postby atticus » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:42 pm

And banks tend to have particular flags on employees' accounts. Indeed, I know of at least one bank that used to have a special branch purely for staff accounts.
atticus

Postby wrongplace » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:00 pm

Thanks for that. I fully understand that the employer has the right to dismiss me.

My question actually is, it it normal practice for the police to call my employer and tell them this before even being found guilty for anything. Or was it simply ol the case of checking my bank accounts and I happen to work there (which the police wouldn't have known at the time ) as I've only started the job.
wrongplace

Postby atticus » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:36 pm

Beyond what Rick has said, only the police can answer your question.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:16 pm

To what extent does OP have a right to that answer?
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby wrongplace » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:57 am

Hmmm
wrongplace

Next

Return to Crime