Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Jurors should be tested

All matters involving criminal law

Re: Jurors should be tested

Postby shootist » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:40 am

megaman wrote:Yes i do belive that witnesses should only reply to questions from another room, out of sight of the court completely, using a terminal to type. This way juries will be forced to only consider the content of the evidence and not irrelivant factors about the way it is presented.

And if the witness, or the accused, is illiterate or ineloquent?
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." MLK.
shootist

Postby atticus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:44 am

I suspect meg would find himself in a very small minority on that one.
atticus

Postby megaman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:11 pm

atticus wrote:I suspect meg would find himself in a very small minority on that one.

which comment does this refer to?
megaman

Postby megaman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:19 pm

shootist wrote:
megaman wrote:Yes i do belive that witnesses should only reply to questions from another room, out of sight of the court completely, using a terminal to type. This way juries will be forced to only consider the content of the evidence and not irrelivant factors about the way it is presented.

And if the witness, or the accused, is illiterate or ineloquent?

Then special measures can be put in place
their words could be repeated by a professional interpreter
they could be hidden from view so only the tone of voice and style of speaking can be heard
ect
megaman

Postby atticus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:36 pm

My last post was written with reference to the OP's statement quoted by shooter in the immediately preceding post.
atticus

Postby megaman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:42 pm

Well if your comment is true it would suggest that the problem identified is very widespread and therefore support the claim that something needs to be done
megaman

Postby atticus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:39 pm

That is an interesting point of view. It is not one that I share.
atticus

Postby shootist » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:45 pm

Hmmm.... A terminal to give evidence upon, to be displayed upon a screen for others to see and then reply to with further questions. Trial by BBS? Look how great communication proceeds here, for example. Or not, as the case may be.

Perhaps when each witness have given their evidence the jury might display score cards in the manner of judges for ice skating. They could all be added up at the end, the verdict being decided upon the score.
shootist

Postby shootist » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:50 pm

megaman wrote:they could be hidden from view so only the tone of voice and style of speaking can be heard
ect

But aren't tone of voice and style of speaking subjective issues? You are contradicting yourself.
shootist

Postby megaman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:45 pm

shootist wrote:
megaman wrote:they could be hidden from view so only the tone of voice and style of speaking can be heard
ect

But aren't tone of voice and style of speaking subjective issues? You are contradicting yourself.

No, they are exact and measurable
if you were to record them with identical recording devices you would get the same output and the entire thing could be converted into a specific stream of numbers.
of course a persons perception/memory of them would be subjective and would change from one person to the next

However the issue in question is not that voice and style of speaking subjective issues ( and other matters regarding a persons presentation ) are subjective its the fact that the reason for them is subjective and theirfore there is no possible way for another person to know what they are so he can conclude nothing about that person from them.

I fail to see the contradiction here.
megaman

PreviousNext

Return to Crime