Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Met to review 30 ongoing sex cases

All matters involving criminal law

Met to review 30 ongoing sex cases

Postby shootist » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:22 pm

This was announced following the collapse of two trials following the 'discovery' that information helpful to the defence had not been passed on to them. It seems to me that this was once a familiar sounding report, so familiar that IIRC and act of parliament made it obligatory for the police to pass all such information to the defence. But even parliament can't fix it, or so it would seem. Still ,at least those 30 cases are going to be looked into, and by the same organisation that failed so spectacularly in the two cases publicised, and quite probably many more that were not. But what can you expect from an organisation that has had so much difficulty for so long in understanding that the word 'necessary' does not mean 'convenient'. At least they will by now have had enough practice at this sort of failure to know what they are looking for.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." MLK.
shootist

Re: Met to review 30 ongoing sex cases

Postby dls » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:32 am

They clearly have been wrong, but I suspect the mistake will prove to have been less obvious but more fundamental.

Put very shortly, they have substituted their own view as to what a court should hear for what a court decides. I should be for the court to make these decisions, not the police.
Broadly te evidence withheld has been as to the complainant's sexual history and similar. A court can now only admit such evidence upon strict conditions being met. If the officer himself claims the right to make that decsion, the court never can.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby donarebun » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:36 pm

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread

Forgive me if that is the case

My question is this; do you think that the police failed to disclose the info in a bid to boost conviction rate

or

That they are under financial strain?

I beleive the latter though
donarebun

Postby atticus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:20 am

The very many commentators on this who work in the criminal justice system strongly believe it is the latter.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:37 am

That does not preclude the other option also being true. Or there being further explanations.
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:27 am

How very observant of you.

So what further explanations occur to you? Please share.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:31 am

What I observed was the presentation of a false dichotomy, which your response appeared to encourage.
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:01 pm

It is easy to blame financial shortfalls, but it may easily cost the police more to prepare cases in this way than to simply submit the records to the defence.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby shootist » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:14 pm

I doubt it is either anything to do with conviction rates, there are other, easier, ways of fiddling that. Neither do I think it is caused by being under-resourced or under financed. As DLS mentioned earlier, if I understand him correctly, the police have taken it upon themselves to decide what should, or shouldn't, be revealed to the court in respect of evidence that might help the defence case. The police consider that they know best, and this is often modified by them considering, as is so often the case, that they have identified the guilty person and anything that might prevent his conviction is an affront to justice (i.e. their opinion, or the legal process, or the law itself)
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." MLK.
shootist

Postby Boo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:10 pm

If the Police are deciding what should or shouldn't be revealed they are doing so in the hope to ensure a conviction. It all adds to the local and national conviction rate pot and maybe on a personal level, extra stars for the Mc SIO.

Perhaps, this demonstrates how out of reach adept defence teams are for the average Jo/e.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Next

Return to Crime