Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Confirmation trails

All matters involving criminal law

Confirmation trails

Postby megaman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:36 am

I have just come up with an idea

Misscaradges of justice are a very srious problem, yet we cannot just get rid of the justice system.
(i think its safe to assume that both of these statements need no explanation.

with that in mind......

How about in cases where a person is sentenced to long jail terms a hearing is required periodically (i wont state how often) whre a new jury hears their case again.
if the new jury convicts the sentence continues (and the same process happens again at the end of the period).
if the new jury fails to convict then the sentence ends.

This would not compleatly solve the issue of wrongfull conviction, but it would greatly reduce the amount of harm done.

discuss
megaman

Re: Confirmation trails

Postby atticus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:36 am

At the risk of being thought to be nitpicking, may I ask what proportion of disposals of cases in the criminal justice system are thought to be miscarriages of justice? It appears that you have access to research on the question.

I am not saying that each individual miscarriage of justice is not a serious problem. I ask how widespread the problem is, to assess whether the trail you propose should be followed.

Perhaps a starting point may be to look at the numbers of cases that are referred to the CCRC.
atticus

Re: Confirmation trails

Postby dls » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:06 pm

Sorry, Megaman, yes there are miscarriages, but not on any sort of scale which might suggest any need for the sort of remedy you suggest.

Much better funding for the Criminal Cases Review Commission would cost very much less with a better return.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Return to Crime