Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

The Police walked into my house.

All matters involving criminal law

Re: The Police walked into my house.

Postby 3.14 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:59 pm

The postman (and everyone else) has an implied invitation to walk up your garden path to ring the doorbell. As soon as the invitation is granted, it's there for everyone until withdrawn.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby TenaciousB » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:06 pm

3.14 wrote:David is correct. I have served Orders to people in the reception area of a hotel and in the dining area too.

A hotel is a building usually manned by staff. Those staff do not own the land so are not able to evict anyone for trespass. A B&B is a private dwelling with the land owner living in it.
A hotel is a building purpose built for guests. A B&B is primarily someone's home.
TenaciousB

Postby 3.14 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:17 pm

TenaciousB wrote:A hotel is a building usually manned by staff. Those staff do not own the land so are not able to evict anyone for trespass.
Incorrect. Staff can evict anyone for trespass.But what you have described isn't it. Sorry.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby shootist » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:48 pm

TenaciousB wrote:
3.14 wrote:David is correct. I have served Orders to people in the reception area of a hotel and in the dining area too.

A hotel is a building usually manned by staff. Those staff do not own the land so are not able to evict anyone for trespass. A B&B is a private dwelling with the land owner living in it.
A hotel is a building purpose built for guests. A B&B is primarily someone's home.

Before you can get any rational advice you need to describe the premises and your contract with them. You have not done so, with the consequential confusion. Some B&Bs are run like hotels, some B&Bs are in fact hotels. Other B&Bs are doss houses, some have communal accommodation, some are houses of multiple accommodation, in fact, just about any setup is possible and can be described, or mis-described, as a B&B. Until you give an accurate description of your situation you may as well not bother. A B&B I pay for on a weekend is not my home, primarily or otherwise.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:55 pm

It appears to have been described as "my house" wrongly.
Last edited by atticus on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to emphasise quotation marks
atticus - a very stable genius
atticus

Postby shootist » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:01 pm

atticus wrote:It appears to have been described as "my house" wrongly.

Well, you would know if he was living in your house I assume.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby TenaciousB » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:43 pm

shootist wrote:Before you can get any rational advice you need to describe the premises and your contract with them. You have not done so, with the consequential confusion. .

No advice remember :-) Anyway, irrational comments are fine.
My wife and I are the joint proprietors of the property in question. We allow actual paying guests to enter the property. unchallenged. We expect prospective paying guests and all other visitors to use the doorbell before being invited in.

We encounter a lot of confusion being a "semi-commercial" property.
TenaciousB

Postby shootist » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:43 pm

TenaciousB wrote:No advice remember :-) Anyway, irrational comments are fine.
My wife and I are the joint proprietors of the property in question. We allow actual paying guests to enter the property. unchallenged. We expect prospective paying guests and all other visitors to use the doorbell before being invited in.

We encounter a lot of confusion being a "semi-commercial" property.

From that I will take a chance to say that the unlocked front door, the multiple occupancy, and paying guests would suggest an implied invitation to enter. Your 'expectations' may not be reflected in law.

But

What's the initial issue, that PCSOs entered your premises uninvited. Did you immediately demand they leave? I assume they gave you the notice they were meant to deliver to you then left. What damages might you expect?/ It may be different if you demanded they leave immediately, but once you have engaged with them for what sounds like a relatively brief period I doubt you could make enough in damages to cover the costs of the stamps you would need to start it. But I'm no expert on civil issues like trespass. Perhaps you could, as recommended by some, simply forgive them their trespasses. But, either way, your would have got the notice sooner or later.
shootist

Postby dls » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:07 pm

You might (if you succeed) get damages of a pound, paying all the costs, and without affecting in any way the validity of the service.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Maz JP » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:10 pm

atticus wrote:It seems the opening post may have been misleading.

Or more accurately - what a delicious rarity to be able to correct you! - the thread title.
Maz JP

PreviousNext

Return to Crime