Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

what is it?

All matters involving criminal law

Re: what is it?

Postby preacherman » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:22 pm

shootist wrote:
preacherman wrote:well, the words of my doorman of the time kind of said it all 'people wont come here if they know about this kind of trouble going on here'.
In hitting people, other customers were also shoved around.
then sometime after I was actually unlawfully evicted, the guy who did the punching, lent out of his van window as he drove past me and put his arm/fist high in the air, as if to say 'yes'.
Considering I have never met or spoke to him before.
He is closely associated with the landlord (provable) who was after the premises I was running at the time, who`s other associate threatened me not to talk about fires (arson).
I was surprised that none of the three people hit decided to press charges.Again, were they maybe in on it, who knows.

You were running a pub in a location that needed a doorman. You were catering to a customer base that would not want the involvement of the police in such an incident. It would seem that other customers would not even go as far as providing witness statements. Such premises should have CCTV to help identify the perpetrator. Were the police called immediately this kicked off? Did the doorman detain the perpetrator? Do you speak of fires now? Why shouldn't you have spoken of fires? If you were unlawfully evicted then I presume you have acted successfully against the organisation that evicted you. Presumably you made a complaint to the police about the puncher. It is a common trait of such people to mock those who have complained about them to no good effect.

Far too little information on which to base an opinion, but you have laid the groundwork for suggesting you were not exactly a gifted licensee. Perhaps it's time to just let go and build a new, better, life.

your getting a bit mixed up shootist. are you sure you were a policeman? Like I said, none of the three people that he hit wanted to press charges.(that`s what the police told me). Yes he was arrested on the evening.I had to have a doorman due to the size of the premises and the licensing law.I never complained about him (well I called the police),he never hit me. I dont know Him.
preacherman

Postby atticus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:27 pm

I thought you had found Him.
atticus

Postby shootist » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:34 pm

preacherman wrote:your getting a bit mixed up shootist. are you sure you were a policeman? Like I said, none of the three people that he hit wanted to press charges.(that`s what the police told me). Yes he was arrested on the evening.I had to have a doorman due to the size of the premises and the licensing law.I never complained about him (well I called the police),he never hit me. I dont know Him.

I'm getting mixed up? So, the police prosecuted him for public order offences then? Punching people in that fashion in a public house would constitute a public order offence of some magnitude. No complaint needed from the punchees. Did you make a statement that he was punching your customers?

And the 'not talking about fires'?
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby preacherman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:16 am

shootist wrote:
preacherman wrote:your getting a bit mixed up shootist. are you sure you were a policeman? Like I said, none of the three people that he hit wanted to press charges.(that`s what the police told me). Yes he was arrested on the evening.I had to have a doorman due to the size of the premises and the licensing law.I never complained about him (well I called the police),he never hit me. I dont know Him.

I'm getting mixed up? So, the police prosecuted him for public order offences then? Punching people in that fashion in a public house would constitute a public order offence of some magnitude. No complaint needed from the punchees. Did you make a statement that he was punching your customers?

And the 'not talking about fires'?

thanks shootist I didn`t know that it was a public order offence. I was told that as the victims didn`t want to press charges there was nothing police could do,and,or they were not pressing charges.I was never asked for a statement.

not talking about fires. I reported it to police, officer said 'looks like you need to lay low for a while', turned out he did not even give me a log number.I issued civil proceedings, I lost. it was all a bit odd.Apparently i suffered a catastrophic loss of credibility, so said the Judge! One reason for that was because the Judge said, anyone would have reported it to the police, but I did!

it was odd because the Judge was winking at me, and at the end he was shouting at me saying 'let it go'. looking back also, I think the Judge wanted me to ask the defendant when I questioned him, 'did you set fire to such and such' but I was not thinking to ask that while the defendant was under oath, so I stuck to the threats of violence. defendant admitted he was 'jumping' but not angry, he said, like when Manchester united score a goal, he admitted that he did say to me you been told by police not to talk about xxxxxxx fires. The Judge butted it, and said that`s perfectly reasonable for him to say that to me, as he would have said that as he had previously made a complaint to the police about me apparently 'harassing him' by mentioning his name in court papers, the police did serve a notice on me, which said I must not write to this man, or mention him in letters (court papers) they never said to me 'don`t talk about fires'.
preacherman

Postby shootist » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:26 am

preacherman wrote:thanks shootist I didn`t know that it was a public order offence. I was told that as the victims didn`t want to press charges there was nothing police could do,and,or they were not pressing charges.I was never asked for a statement.

It may then bring some peace to your heart to hear that they were lying to you.

Public Order Act 1986
4 Fear or provocation of violence.
(1)A person is guilty of an offence if he—
(a)uses towards another person threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or
(b)distributes or displays to another person any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,
with intent to cause that person to believe that immediate unlawful violence will be used against him or another by any person, or to provoke the immediate use of unlawful violence by that person or another, or whereby that person is likely to believe that such violence will be used or it is likely that such violence will be provoked.
(2)An offence under this section may be committed in a public or a private place, except that no offence is committed where the words or behaviour are used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation is distributed or displayed, by a person inside a dwelling and the other person is also inside that or another dwelling.

A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or both.

Or

3 Affray.
(1)A person is guilty of affray if he uses or threatens unlawful violence towards another and his conduct is such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for his personal safety.
(2)Where 2 or more persons use or threaten the unlawful violence, it is the conduct of them taken together that must be considered for the purposes of subsection (1).
(3)For the purposes of this section a threat cannot be made by the use of words alone.
(4)No person of reasonable firmness need actually be, or be likely to be, present at the scene.
(5)Affray may be committed in private as well as in public places.
A person guilty of affray is liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 years or a fine or both, or on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or both.

In view of past discussions I must add that you ought not assume malice on the part of the police when bone idleness is an adequate explanation, which I assure you it is most likely to be.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby preacherman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:58 am

it does not really bring peace! it brings 'time to write letters' to heart!
preacherman

Postby shootist » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:19 am

atticus wrote:I thought you had found Him.

Are you mocking someone for their faith?
shootist

Postby atticus » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:45 am

No.
atticus

Postby shootist » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:55 am

Your answer surprises me. What exactly were you mocking him for then?
shootist

Postby atticus » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:04 am

If that is how you wish to misread my post, then so be it.
atticus

PreviousNext

Return to Crime