Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

28 day pre charge bail limit

All matters involving criminal law

28 day pre charge bail limit

Postby Boo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:54 am

This week, a local Detective Inspector was discussing the new 28 day Police bail limit.
He said suspects will be invited for an interview - then released without Police bail pending investigation.

I appreciate the difficulties and anxiety of being on Police bail for an age - where there are conditions that need to be in place before the suspect is released, that decision is to be made by senior staff within the Police force.

Admittedly I was only half listening...but I believe the DI said if the suspect refuses to attend an interview they will be arrested.

Is this going to put more pressure on courts?
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Re: 28 day pre charge bail limit

Postby shootist » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:15 pm

Allow me to translate. A local Detective Inspector has said that the police will now start doing what they bloody well should have been doing since the 'new' powers of arrest came into force sometime around 2005 IIRC.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Re: 28 day pre charge bail limit

Postby dls » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:48 pm

There are two points. One is that it takes time to investigate.
Second that police learn whether they can trust the person being investigated. If they attend for interview, that increases trust. If not, a bigger stick is needed.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Return to Crime