Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Judge says undercover paedophile hunters can continue

All matters involving criminal law

Re: Judge says undercover paedophile hunters can continue

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:52 pm

dls wrote:The dangers of this kind of crap (thanks 3.14)

https://www.theabi.org.uk/news/bbc-secr ... to-go-free

Would there have been a successful prosecution if there had not been a botched investigation?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:26 am

By definition, we will never know.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby shootist » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:15 am

Hairyloon wrote:
dls wrote:The dangers of this kind of crap (thanks 3.14)

https://www.theabi.org.uk/news/bbc-secr ... to-go-free

Would there have been a successful prosecution if there had not been a botched investigation?

As I read it, the main objection was the police not doing their job properly. Other privacy considerations aside I think that videoing such events for later broadcast may be a good idea. One thing I got really tired of was defendants who, after conviction, telling their admiring audience down the pub how they were fitted up, beaten up, and betrayed by their lawyer who was on the side of the police. It also records any abuse of authority by the police, which recording of can only be a good thing.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:31 am

dls wrote:By definition, we will never know.

We may never know, but we can consider what we do know and make an educated guess. There is, for example, a considerable difference between a botched investigation leading to a prosecution that fails, and a botched investigation derailing a prosecution instigated by an effective investigation.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:59 am

One thing I got really tired of was defendants who, after conviction, telling their admiring audience down the pub how they were fitted up, beaten up, and betrayed by their lawyer who was on the side of the police. It also records any abuse of authority by the police, which recording of can only be a good thing.

Agreed, but that appears not to be the case here.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby shootist » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:29 pm

dls wrote:
One thing I got really tired of was defendants who, after conviction, telling their admiring audience down the pub how they were fitted up, beaten up, and betrayed by their lawyer who was on the side of the police. It also records any abuse of authority by the police, which recording of can only be a good thing.

Agreed, but that appears not to be the case here.

It is not entirely beyond comprehension that the police can make a complete balls of a fairly simple warrant, be it either for arrest or search or both. And an investigation. And a prosecution file.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Agreed, but that does not appear to be the case here.
atticus

Postby shootist » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:07 pm

“The judge expressed concern about the relationship the investigators and police had with the programme team, and said that they appeared to be acting as agents of the BBC in order to make a television programme, rather than focusing on the proper conduct of the search process as they should have done,” said the BBC Trust in its latest editorial guidelines bulletin."

Sounds like at least a bit of a balls up to me.
shootist

Postby Spankymonkey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:42 pm

I think if you dig deeper you will find that the BBC producers were, in effect, 'guiding' the police into pursuing investigations that would make good telly, rather than those in the public interest. The police obviously took the term 'public interest' a bit too literally.
Spankymonkey

Postby shootist » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:42 am

Spankymonkey wrote:I think if you dig deeper you will find that the BBC producers were, in effect, 'guiding' the police into pursuing investigations that would make good telly, rather than those in the public interest. The police obviously took the term 'public interest' a bit too literally.

To be fair, it would be a strange new concept for them.
shootist

Previous

Return to Crime