Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Murder in the US

All matters involving criminal law

Re: Murder in the US

Postby diy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:53 am

How would you know that?
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:57 am

I used my skill and judgment.
atticus

Postby shootist » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:26 pm

These few snipes between old friends ignore the possibility of a discussion on general terms on the comparative aspects of law in other countries. Sometimes useful, often instructive, and can sometimes make you feel lucky to be living in the UK. The OP might encourage a discussion on the circumstances with a view to wondering if the surviving burglar might have been charged with an offence on a similar basis, albeit not necessarily homicide.

As an aside, in the same program was a classic demonstration of why relatives should not take any part in the trial. The deceased's mother (IIRC) while understandably upset, but rationalish by the time of the trial was complaining how someone could just shoot a person without asking questions or anything, just shooting someone. Personally, in a country where firearms are easily available and two burglars force entry into your home, carrying a firearm, and you defend yourself by grabbing the burglar's gun and he gets shot and killed in the process, that seems perfectly reasonable to me.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:32 pm

This topic and another recent one go to show that speaking (mostly) the same language is not an indicator that the law is the same in the other country.

I was stopped by a policeman in Portland, Oregon, in 1980 for crossing a road when the little red man was showing, even though there was no traffic in sight.
atticus

Postby diy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:44 pm

Assuming they were indeed the facts and this happened in the UK.

If you were packing and the other guy wasn't I can see a case in UK Law for Involuntary Manslaughter: the defendant's gross negligence; and his unlawful or dangerous act. But there is a very strong argument that the deceased consented to the risk of being killed and accepted the danger.

edit: I ran a 4 way stop in the middle of the desert for failing to put my foot down. Highway patrol cop was hiding behind a bush. I could easily see for 2 miles in every direction. He let me off when he realised we were tourists.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:15 pm

Does this imagined consent somehow excuse the homicide?
atticus

Previous

Return to Crime