Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Why no 'Obstruct Police'?

All matters involving criminal law

Why no 'Obstruct Police'?

Postby shootist » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:59 am

The police warn him he could have been prosecuted for harassment but don't report him for obstructing police?

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/fed-up-driver-gets-revenge-12609223

Five years ago, Chris Welford was hit with a speeding ticket.
So when he noticed a mobile speed camera parked up on that very same road, he decided to take “revenge”.
Cheeky Chris parked his BMW a few feet behind Cleveland Police’s van, lifted up his boot - and blocked the camera.
He then stood next to his 5 series for an hour on Marske Road as passing motorists beeped their horns in admiration at his handwork.
“I’ve been caught there in the past and just thought I would try and annoy them a little bit,” said the 23-year-old offshore worker.
“When I saw the van I just thought to myself I had a spare few hours and nothing better to do, so why not?
“People have been loving it - one person got in touch and said ‘Not all heroes wear capes’.
But Cleveland Police are seemingly not as impressed, with Chris claiming he was visited hours later and warned he could have been hauled to court for harassment.
However, Chris said police didn’t even confront him at the scene and just let him get on with it.
“At one point an unmarked police car came past with two officers inside,” added Chris, of Burley Close, Skelton .
“But they just looked at me and kept driving.
“There was at least one officer in the car but he just ignored me.
“The police came around later and I was told I was lucky as I could have been done for harassment.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Re: Why no 'Obstruct Police'?

Postby atticus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:16 am

You have to wonder what the officers in the van were doing all that time. They should have done something about the guy or moved on. Maybe they decided to have a kip.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:20 am

Is it not an automated thing: they park it up and come back for it later? That would explain why there is no charge of obstructing a police officer.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Boo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:37 am

shootist wrote:However, Chris said police didn’t even confront him at the scene and just let him get on with it.
“At one point an unmarked police car came past with two officers inside,” added Chris, of Burley Close, Skelton .
“But they just looked at me and kept driving.
“There was at least one officer in the car but he just ignored me.

Huh?!
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby atticus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:45 am

If no officers were present the already weak assertion of harassment looks even weaker. Those poor distressed officers who weren't even there to be distressed!
atticus

Postby diy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:37 am

if he's lawfully parked then it's up to them to find a spot where they can view their prey. Plus without a warning, it would be hard to argue obstruction. There is also the possibility that the van operator was not actually a police officer. Add that to the evidence rules for cameras (being secondary evidence) and they risk their tickets being cancelled.

Looking at the photo. i reckon neither was lawfully parked hence they didn't ticket him for parking on the pavement.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby dls » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:46 am

I doubt that harassment ould apply, nor, directly obstruction, but there have historically been convictions for similar acts.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby 3.14 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:07 pm

diy wrote:There is also the possibility that the van operator was not actually a police officer.
That hit the nail on the head. IMO.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby 3.14 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:08 pm

In Chile, people flash their lights twice at the drivers approaching a speed trap.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby atticus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:16 pm

I recall reading that drivers have been successfully prosecuted in England for doing exactly that.
atticus

Next

Return to Crime