Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Benevolent Kidnapping.

All matters involving criminal law

Benevolent Kidnapping.

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:30 am

I was talking to a chap recently who is suffering badly from work related stress. It occurred to me that he really ought to take a break, but of course the work pressures mean that he cannot.

The further thought was that if someone were to kidnap him and take him somewhere peaceful, then it might do hi the power of good, and work could not give him grief because it would not be his fault.
The flaw in the idea is of course that kidnapping is very much illegal, and I don't suppose the mitigating circumstances would hold much water, but it still seems a better idea that letting it develop to the point where he gets sectioned...
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Talking bollocks about Benevolant (sic) Kidnapping.

Postby atticus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:15 am

He needs to see a doctor and get signed off.
atticus

Re: Talking bollocks about Benevolant (sic) Kidnapping.

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:40 am

atticus wrote:He needs to see a doctor and get signed off.

Very probably, but how do you make a chap go to a doctor? And how do you get the doctor to sign him off rather than prescribe something? When the patient doesn't accept that he needs to be signed off?
Hairyloon

Re: Benevolant Kidnapping.

Postby shootist » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:10 am

Everyone is entitled to find their own road to hell. What you suggest is a fine example of the nanny state mentality, i.e. 'nanny knows best'.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:38 am

shootist wrote:What you suggest is a fine example of the nanny state mentality, i.e. 'nanny knows best'.

I was not suggesting any form of state interference, and that said, quite often nanny does know best.
Hairyloon

Postby shootist » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:44 am

Hairyloon wrote:
shootist wrote:What you suggest is a fine example of the nanny state mentality, i.e. 'nanny knows best'.

I was not suggesting any form of state interference, and that said, quite often nanny does know best.

Firstly, the reference was to the mentality and not the state. Second, you would remove the right of free choice from this man? Are you a qualified psychologist / psychiatrist? Perhaps the man's coping mechanism is to moan about the stress he actually enjoys. And quite often nanny is an idiot who thinks castor oils will cure everything from a cold to diphtheria.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:08 pm

I'm feeling a bit stressed at work if anyone would like to kidnap me. The Scottish Highlands would be nice, as long as there's an open fire and some decent whisky, and I can take my walking boots.

Seriously though, if sectioning this person is not a good idea, then why is detaining him against his will, perpetrated by people he thought he could trust, supposed to be therapeutic? It is sectioning him without any of the safeguards.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:I'm feeling a bit stressed at work if anyone would like to kidnap me. The Scottish Highlands would be nice, as long as there's an open fire and some decent whisky, and I can take my walking boots.

Seriously though, if sectioning this person is not a good idea, then why is detaining him against his will, perpetrated by people he thought he could trust, supposed to be therapeutic? It is sectioning him without any of the safeguards.

For answer, may I refer you to the first half of your comment?
If you really are finding the open fire and whisky to be counter-productive, I' sure you could persuade your captors to take you home.
Hairyloon

Postby miner » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:11 pm

Hairy, its "Benevolent.
miner

Postby atticus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:32 pm

He may have meant: Hairy, it's "benevolent".
atticus

Next

Return to Crime