Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Tasers.

All matters involving criminal law

Tasers.

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Police officers in Bristol tasered their own force’s black Race Relations Advisor in the face – after mistaking him for a wanted man.

Judah Adunbi, 63, a grandfather who works to smooth relations between police and the black community, was tasered after being approached by a female and male officer outside his home.
Adunbi was hit with the taser after refusing to give his name to the two officers.

The footage shows that as he tries to enter his home, he is approached by the officers and asked to tell them his name.

Adunbi replies: “I’m not telling you my name. I’ve done no wrong.”

The police then shout “Taser” and shoot the electric gun at his face despite a neighbour shouting that Adunbi was simply trying to get into his home.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/police-in-bri ... soc_trk=fb
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Tasers.

Postby shootist » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:43 pm

Having watched the video, the man comes across as a complete tosser looking for a chance to prove that he was a victim of racism. If I was stopped by police officers who told me they thought I was a wanted person (by name) then it is easy to realise that if I refuse to identify myself and try to walk off then I might be arrested and that the arrest will probably be quite lawful. Most members of this board will know that I am not the biggest fan of the police but this man elected to provide the police with good reason to do what they did. No doubt the police will pay compensation and grovel and there might be a few riots but they should tell him to go swivel.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:17 pm

What possible reason was there to use a taser on this man?
atticus

Postby Boo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:47 pm

I'd be pissed if they were pointing a taser at me demanding to know my name.
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:01 pm

atticus wrote:What possible reason was there to use a taser on this man?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8EpfyCG2Y
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:33 pm

It is exactly when someone is acting the tosser that extra care is required.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby shootist » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:09 pm

Have you ever had to physically restrain a violent man? How often have you had to do so? I bet you don't answer.

A police officer sees a man he believes to be a suspect wanted for a serious crime, IIRC, involving violence. He correctly asks the man for identification on the basis that if it's produced and it's not that wanted man it will help avoid an arrest. That seems fair to me. The man refuses to identify himself and walks off. When restrained he resists in a manner that indicates he is prepared to use violence in order to continue on his way, perhaps into a secure area preventing any further arrest or pursuit. The police have a number of options:

Leave him alone and go prosecute some motorists

Leave him alone and go for a nice cup of tea.

Escalate the force used to a degree sufficient to achieve the desired result.

In days gone by this confrontation may have ended up with the application of a truncheon to various parts of the man's person until such time as he was rendered incapacitated. For better of for worse, the TASER is regarded as lower n the use of force scale than impact weapons and that is how police training goes. Given liability issues and the fear of being sued, police officers are more likely to try and remain within that use of force scale. Accordingly, application of a TASER in the arrest of a resistive person believed to be a violent criminal wanted for arrest is at the very least a reasonable pre-emptive strike that would more than likely save the man more serious injury if the violence is allowed to escalate.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby shootist » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:18 pm

Boo wrote:I'd be pissed if they were pointing a taser at me demanding to know my name.

Perhaps, but you might better understand if you were the spitting image of Rosie The Razor, AKA the mad slasher of old London Town wanted for striping a police officer in Camden last night. Or are you suggesting that the police officers were out looking for a convenient black man to victimise so they can get a bit of overtime in the riots if he dies being TASERed?
shootist

Postby atticus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:33 pm

WTF?
atticus

Postby Boo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:18 pm

Hairyloon wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8EpfyCG2Y

Boom!
God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Next

Return to Crime