Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Body Worn Camera footage

All matters involving criminal law

Re: Body Worn Camera footage

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:04 am

Spankymonkey wrote:However, as BWV is a fairly recent introduction in Britain, you can expect to hear a lot of 'camera error' claims by misbehaving cops in the coming years.

Probably best to get that nipped in the bud.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby 3.14 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:51 am

Hairyloon wrote:
Spankymonkey wrote:However, as BWV is a fairly recent introduction in Britain, you can expect to hear a lot of 'camera error' claims by misbehaving cops in the coming years.

Probably best to get that nipped in the bud.
Be my guest...https://beta.met.police.uk/contact-us/
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:42 am

BWH wrote:But why is onus on me ?, why isn't it on the police to offer supporting evidence to back their version despite this been very easy for them

Because you are contemplating an action against the Police, and the onus is on any claimant to prove their case. It's not enough to show there is something fishy about the Police's explanation for the situation, nor just that the video didn't work when it ought to have done. You need to show exactly how the Police fell below what could reasonably be expected of them (which may be an uphill task in itself), but more importantly how that breach of their duty led directly to the harm you suffered. It appears you have been convicted of an offence: there must have been other evidence which was sufficiently compelling for the Court to convict you - evidence which proved your guilt beyond reasonable doubt. How are you going to prove that the video evidence would have been so overwhelming that it would have displaced all that other evidence? In the criminal case it appears that the Court didn't believe that the absence of video evidence cast doubt on the prosecution case.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby diy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:32 am

Depending on the type of camera used and the associated meta data, it may be possible to prove or disprove the camera auto stopped and powered down or was manually stopped.

the histogram and audio data can often be effected when power levels are low. Also the camera settings might change if the camera was manually stopped and started where the light conditions changed.

There may even be an audio spike picking up the hand movement. You might not hear it, but you will see it in the histogram
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:37 am

Do you seriously think the police will agree to that analysis?
atticus

Postby diy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:49 am

I've no idea.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:28 pm

atticus wrote:Do you seriously think the police will agree to that analysis?

Upon what grounds do you suggest that they refuse? Other than the right to refuse to incriminate oneself.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:33 pm

I might equally ask on what grounds do you think they might agree?

The OP has been convicted. He is on a fishing expedition for evidence in the hope that it will cast new light on some of the evidence given against him.

I suggest that the request will be refused, and no explanation need be given. The OP could apply for a court order, but should bear in mind that he may not get that order.
atticus

Postby dls » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Upon what grounds do you suggest that they refuse?

First, do they have to give a reason?
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Spankymonkey » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:58 pm

I think you'll find the hard drive associated with the files in question will have been erased by now. The police only retain BWV files for about 30 days I believe.
Spankymonkey

PreviousNext

Return to Crime