Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

A bloke wrote a book

discussing the 45th President of the USA

A bloke wrote a book

Postby atticus » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:07 pm

And apparently it is not at all positive in its portrayal of the current President.

Of course it will change nothing. Those who think that Mr Trump is a prize wanker knew that anyway, and didn't need this book to tell them. Those who prefer to call him "True" will maintain the faith and say that something called MSM is perpetuating "fake news".

Is there anyone in the middle, who is undecided, and whose opinions of the man might be swayed by this book?
atticus

Re: A bloke wrote a book

Postby diy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:51 pm

When he first came to power, I was optimistic that he might do things differently. The reality is he has very little legislative ability, so pretty much can't do anything other than start nuclear war.

There is something however, very powerful about a person who makes it his business to be impossible to ally with. It makes people keen to try. You see it in business, the psycho C-suite or Zeus depending on which school of management you subscribe to. He's not the first nutcase to lead a country and won't be the last.

So I've gone from thinking he's a clown, to thinking he might be good, to thinking he's not going to achieve much at all.

Perhaps the best political leaders are those who have marginal leaderships such they can't actually do or change anything without cross party consensus.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:13 pm

One thing politics is about, is building alliances. The US Constitution was designed to make this essential.
atticus

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:42 pm

Inevitably there will be people whose minds are changed. The US is a big place, and the fact that the President's approval ratings continue to deteriorate suggests that not everyone is so deeply embedded in their echo chamber that their views cannot be changed. And perhaps just as importantly, revelations like these make it less likely that his popularity will improve.

It reminds me of the end of the Major premiership. Everything that happened kept adding to the impression that the Government was no longer in control, and everything they did to try and take control just made things worse. A Prime Minister who is in charge of his party doesn't need to resign and force a leadership election to prove it; and a stable and rational President doesn't need to call a press conference to inform everyone that he is not mad.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:45 pm

atticus wrote:One thing politics is about, is building alliances. The US Constitution was designed to make this essential.

Zackly. And the US needs to maintain its alliances across the world, something the President is making impossible.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby shootist » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:45 am

Trump

Trump

Trump

Trump

Trump
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:42 am

Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:45 am

It seems the last two posters are agreed: the President's stature is diminishing.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:37 am

Not quite: I never perceived any significant stature to be diminished.
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Boo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:56 am

God - "I have made Mankind!"
Angels - "You screwed up a perfectly good monkey is what you did. Look at it. It's got anxiety!"
Boo

Next

Return to President Trump