Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Mister Speaker.

discussing the 45th President of the USA

Re: Mister Speaker.

Postby dls » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:23 pm

Agreed

Per the bbc

International leaders are sometimes invited to address both Houses of Parliament when they visit the UK

any evidence that such an extra invitation had been offered?
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby miner » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:59 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
miner wrote:The Speaker is supposed to be neutral. What he chose to engage in was a near-hysterical rant expressing his own personal views on a political matter.

No, I think that opposing racism and supporting the rule of law are the official positions of the House.

What you think in your own limited world of thought is immaterial.

He's not there to express the positions of the House. He is there to keep order.

Office and Role of Speaker. ... The holder of this office is an MP who has been elected to be Speaker by other Members of Parliament. During debates they keep order and call MPs to speak. The Speaker is the chief officer and highest authority of the House of Commons and must remain politically impartial at all times.

In effect, Mr Speaker is an Administrator, nothing else.

PS -

Lord Fowler - the Lords' Speaker - made excellent and pertinent comments in the HoL yesterday.
miner

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Of course it is the Speaker's job to express the views of the House. That's why he's called the Speaker.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:05 pm

dls wrote:where is the insult?
However, as far as this place is concerned, I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and to sexism, and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations in the House of Commons.

I can see that you or I might be insulted, but Donald is overtly racist and sexist and appears proud to be so.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:46 pm

I'm sure the so-called President will get over it.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby miner » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Hairyloon wrote:
dls wrote:where is the insult?
However, as far as this place is concerned, I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and to sexism, and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations in the House of Commons.

I can see that you or I might be insulted, but Donald is overtly racist and sexist and appears proud to be so.

You're missing the point, Hairy.

And who does Bercow mean by "our"? He has no authority to speak on behalf of and of the Members of the House of Commons. He's behaved like an arrogant twit, and has allowed himself to be egged on by the media who just love this sort of crap.
miner

Postby atticus » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:26 pm

Yes, that would appear to be an opinion.
atticus

Postby dls » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Lord Fowler - the Lords' Speaker - made excellent and pertinent comments in the HoL yesterday.

Exactly. He knew his job and did it. He could not be accused of favouring Trump, but retained his and the House's dignity.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby miner » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:11 pm

dls wrote:

Exactly. He knew his job and did it. He could not be accused of favouring Trump, but retained his and the House's dignity.

And he very politely but effectively reminded Bercow that he (Lord Fowler) is jointly involved with Bercow in making such decisions.
miner

Previous

Return to President Trump