Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Trump sworn in vs all other presidents

discussing the 45th President of the USA

Trump sworn in vs all other presidents

Postby Mrhilter » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:50 pm

I just dredged up clips of each president being sworn in one after the next, starting with Reagan and ending with Trump. Of all those presidents only one of them completely fluffed their lines. Needless to say at the time nothing was made of it and it was all taken light heartedly. Looking at it again it makes me wonder if it wouldn't have been a little more respectful to have rehearsed a couple of times before this particular president attempted speaking on his own without having to be poked with a stick from a stagehand.

Can you imagine if Trump had so much as stumbled on a single word? The media would be burning his effigy in the streets.

I wish him the best of luck what with having to take office as possibly the most vilified man in the world right now. I had not the remotest interest in him until the campaign begun. Now I have the deepest respect and admiration for the man.
Mrhilter

Re: Trump sworn in vs all other presidents

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:30 pm

Well, in the interests of historical accuracy, I've also looked at those clips, and can confirm that none of the Presidents "completely fluffed their lines."

I have found one instance of a President making an error with one word of the oath of office: instead of "I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States" President Obama said "I will execute the office of president of the United States faithfully." But that can't be the incident the OP is referring to, because he says that "nothing was made of it" and in this instance President Obama retook the oath later: a pretty serious step.

Also, after his election President Obama was literally hanged in effigy.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:29 pm

And, if we are discussing the inaugurations of all other Presidents, we should observe that an outbreak of dysentery at James Buchanan's inauguration killed several people, including three congressmen (sadly it didn't kill Buchanan himself, since he was one of the worst Presidents, if not the worst, of all time), revellers at Andrew Jackson's celebrations trashed the White House and had to be lured outside with free booze, Andrew Johnson was so drunk he was incapable of participating in parts of the ceremony, and William Henry Harrison spoke for so long in the freezing cold that he caught pneumonia and died.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:20 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:And, if we are discussing the inaugurations of all other Presidents, we should observe that an outbreak of dysentery at James Buchanan's inauguration killed several people, including three congressmen (sadly it didn't kill Buchanan himself, since he was one of the worst Presidents, if not the worst, of all time), revellers at Andrew Jackson's celebrations trashed the White House and had to be lured outside with free booze, Andrew Johnson was so drunk he was incapable of participating in parts of the ceremony, and William Henry Harrison spoke for so long in the freezing cold that he caught pneumonia and died.

Those don't sound best promising; how did they turn out in the finish? And remind me: which of those had nuclear capability?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:37 pm

Well, Buchanan's idiocy played a part in the outbreak of the Civil War, Johnson was impeached, and Harrison was dead. Fortunately, there were no nuclear weapons at the time.

Jackson was quite well-regarded, although apparently the White House smelled of cheese for much of his presidency, due to the amount the revellers trod into the carpet.

Trump is, I believe, the first to become imbroiled in a scandal surrounding the apparent plagiarising of a cake. One wonders whether it is wise to entrust the nuclear codes to a man who has devoted much of a speech to the CIA this evening to moaning about press reports of the size of the crowds at his inauguration.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:10 am

Smouldering Stoat wrote:One wonders whether it is wise to entrust the nuclear codes to a man who has devoted much of a speech to the CIA this evening to moaning about press reports of the size of the crowds at his inauguration.

I hear they've got that covered.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Mrhilter » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:33 am

Smouldering Stoat wrote:And, if we are discussing the inaugurations of all other Presidents, we should observe that an outbreak of dysentery at James Buchanan's inauguration killed several people, including three congressmen

Unfortunately I couldn't find that clip on Youtube, do you have a link?

One wonders whether it is wise to entrust the nuclear codes to a man who has devoted much of a speech to the CIA this evening to moaning about press reports of the size of the crowds at his inauguration.

Rather him than his predecessor who, if his inauguration was anything to go by, wouldn't even be able to remember the nuclear codes.
Mrhilter

Return to President Trump