Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Anyone Else Looking forward to Trump as President?

discussing the 45th President of the USA

Re: Anyone Else Looking forward to Trump as President?

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:51 pm

Upon the incapacity of the President the Vice President becomes Acting President (unlike the death or resignation of the President, when the Vice President becomes President). There is a procedure for the President to seek to regain power, in which case Congress would adjudicate any dispute.

Admittedly, the Vice President Elect is a fruitcake who believes it is possible to turn gay people straight through the medium of electrocution, but it is submitted that he is more likely to consider himself bound by constitutional norms than Trump.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Well, I listened to the Inaugural Address with an open mind and I thought it was terrible. But apparently it sounded better in the original Russian.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby atticus » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:11 pm

I understand that in discharge of their duties of protecting the new President, the Secret Service has killed several time travellers.
atticus

Postby miner » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:57 pm

I watched and listened to the US President's inauguration a couple of hours ago and thought he made a good, respectful and inclusive speech, entirely consistent with his recent statements as President-elect.

I believe that he will make a good if not excellent President, and will be a far better one than his immediate predecessor who was full of promises but in 8 years achieved very little of real note.

Obama was no great friend of the U.K. and made a big mistake in stating before our Referendum that if the UK were to leave the EU it would be at the back of the queue for new Trade Deals. He should not have been interfering in that manner with UK politics.
miner

Postby atticus » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:03 pm

a different speech was broadcast in Canada.
atticus

Postby miner » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:13 pm

atticus wrote:a different speech was broadcast in Canada.

If it was, I wouldn't know as I watched it live on BBC in the United States.

My friends to whom I have spoken in Canada seem, however, to have seen and heard the same speech as I did, but they didn't watch it on the BBC.

You may as well come to terms with the facts that Brexit and Trump are realities in a changing world.
miner

Postby 3.14 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:31 pm

It seems that he plagiarised bane's speech from The Dark Knight Rises. I'm not joking.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby atticus » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:48 pm

The fact that Trump is President, having got 3 million fewer votes than one of the other candidates, does not make him or his speech any less unpleasant.
atticus

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:55 pm

miner wrote:I watched and listened to the US President's inauguration a couple of hours ago and thought he made a good, respectful and inclusive speech, entirely consistent with his recent statements as President-elect.

I prefer Winston Churchill's grandson's analysis of the speech:
soames.PNG
soames.PNG (14.3 KiB) Viewed 93 times
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Spankymonkey » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:36 am

atticus wrote:The fact that Trump is President, having got 3 million fewer votes than one of the other candidates, does not make him or his speech any less unpleasant.

Democracy's a bitch.
Spankymonkey

PreviousNext

Return to President Trump