Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Twitter analysis.

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Twitter analysis.

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Since the usefulness of Twitter has been raised elsewhere on the board, I am moved to bring up this analysis. It looks like it is the beginnings of something potentially incredibly useful. I do not, at this time claim to be able to make much sense of it.
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Twitter analysis.

Postby tph » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:41 pm

Although interesting, I would question how useful the data really is. The danger is that too much can be read into it.
tph

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:42 pm

tph wrote:Although interesting, I would question how useful the data really is. The danger is that too much can be read into it.

I think the data there is a map, which if you can read it will show where the really useful stuff is at.

There is course apparently; I've not looked into it yet. https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/soc ... -analytics
Hairyloon

Postby diy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:49 am

You have to start with some basic tests:
Does twitter represent a normal distribution of the UK voting public?
Is the volume of chat proportionate to voting intentions?
Is there a sizeable chunk of the voting public that pay no attention to twitter?

The demographics don't look good.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/271 ... uk-by-age/

A similar comparison can be made to Donald Trumps popularity.
His approval ratings are up, yet he's treated as total twit on most social media and media platforms.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:00 am

diy wrote:You have to start with some basic tests:
Does twitter represent a normal distribution of the UK voting public?

I don't think that need matter: the question is of whether it is usefully representative of normal people.
Is the volume of chat proportionate to voting intentions?

Again, that is not the relevant question, the volume of chat suggests the important issues of contention that need to be addressed. Somewhere in that volume, it is likely that intelligent discourse is occurring.
Is there a sizeable chunk of the voting public that pay no attention to twitter?

If I Tweet to little Eric and Eric talks to his Gran and sways her opinion based on what I have Tweeted, does his Gran still pay no attention to Twitter?
Likewise if Gran shows Eric where I was wrong* and he returns and explains it then does his Gran have no influence on Twitter?

A similar comparison can be made to Donald Trumps popularity.
His approval ratings are up, yet he's treated as total twit on most social media and media platforms.

I'm not sure that is a fair comparison: I'm led to believe that a significant proportion of his following cannot read.
Hairyloon

Postby diy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:30 am

I think you are making the mistake pollsters have been making for years. Humans are a funny bunch, the term "the silent majority" springs to mind.. However, if we were to imagine for a moment that brexit can be stopped, the easiest way for that to happen, is for a political party (new or otherwise) to win a general election and ask mr Barnier, to let us re-join on the terms we had. Or perhaps force some sort of end of negotiation vote.

For that to work requires at least two things:
- Anti-brexit voters, vote
- the anti-brexit partys' other politics don't put anti-brexit people off

For years it appeared UKIP were very popular, they had a lot of popular vote, same as the greens and to some degree the lib-dems. But have no realistic chance of ever winning the next general election. Thats without considering the status quo could win with a split alternative vote or people don't backlash against the national embarrassment of pulling a 180 (or 360 depending on your view).
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby dls » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:43 am

If I Tweet to little Eric and Eric talks to his Gran and sways her opinion based on what I have Tweeted, does his Gran still pay no attention to Twitter?

Yes, she does not. No doubt Eric's words came through (perhaps) an iphone, and then past his teeth and through the air?
Is he paying attention to Apple, to the battery or to the air or teeth?
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:31 am

dls wrote:

Yes, she does not. No doubt Eric's words came through (perhaps) an iphone, and then past his teeth and through the air?
Is he paying attention to Apple, to the battery or to the air or teeth?

By the same token do you suggest that nobody pays any attention to, for example, the Daily Mail?
Hairyloon

Postby dls » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:20 am

You are missing the point. In denial of Marshal McLuhan(?), the medium is not the message or the messenger. None stands quite alone, but the medium is not the value of the message.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:32 am

dls wrote:You are missing the point. In denial of Marshal McLuhan(?), the medium is not the message or the messenger. None stands quite alone, but the medium is not the value of the message.

I think you miss the point. Diy's point was, I think, that a great many people will not be aware of any message that is posted on Twitter because they do not use it.
Hairyloon

Next

Return to Brexit