Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

How to win a second referendum

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

How to win a second referendum

Postby atticus » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:33 pm

http://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-sto ... -1-5361009

Interesting reading for those who would like to see that outcome.

Those who would not like to see that outcome need not bother.
atticus

Re: How to win a second referendum

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:45 pm

Looking back at the campaign by Remain, it was unbelievably shoddy.
Marketing is not my thing, and I needed it pointing out how bad it was, but having now seen, it almost defies belief how bad it was.
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:50 pm

Agreed. Too much complacency. And other problems.
atticus

Postby atticus » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:17 pm

Adding the 10 point plan

I’m sticking with the ’10-point plan’ structure, with additional nuances.

1. Leadership: One of the casualties of Brexit politics has been the further erosion of respect for mainstream politicians. The new leaders of a pro-European drive need to be untainted by standard party politics. Arguably the most powerful figure on the anti-Brexit scene is Scientists for EU founder Dr Mike Galsworthy. Low on grandstanding and high on impassioned articulacy, the movement needs more like him. Imagine an NHS-specific Galsworthy, a Galsworthy from farming, another from manufacturing and so on. People with a genuine stake in the sectors they represent. People who speak for people and not parties.

2. Project (economic) Fear: Drop it. Until a major business pulls out of Britain, citing Brexit, the economic arguments are all but impossible to parse for the majority of people. This includes me.

3. The NHS: This is the gift that keeps on giving if you’re against Brexit. Use it as the totemic issue. Repeat endlessly: “You can have Brexit or you can have the NHS – it’s your choice.”

4. Friction and lost rights: Forget catastrophising about the country and focus on the insanity of issues like customs delays for holidaymakers.

5. Chlorinated chicken: Focus on how EU single market rules protect us from eating s**t.

6. Cancer: What could exemplify the vacuous argument that leaving the EU gives us more control when the availability of radioactive isotopes for cancer treatment is still not guaranteed?

7. Organise in the real world: Ranting online is cathartic, but talking calmly with real people is a game-changer. Join grassroots groups to help with this.

8. Stop shouting ‘Remain’: Unless Remain becomes an option again, drop it. It represents a status quo that is no longer available. You cannot make June 23, 2016, unhappen. But you can make yourselves look ‘undemocratic’, so try not to.

9. Understand the difference between objectives and messaging: Messages open the cognitive door to achieving objectives.

A 25-tweet thread about the complexities of various trading relationship options may well be true. But it is data, not a message.

10. Focus on your base: Grind out those votes. The majority for Brexit is shrinking all the time while younger pro-EU voters are added to the electoral roll daily. This is how Trump and Brexit won.

In short, whatever you do – don’t repeat the mistakes of last time.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:43 pm

In short, whatever you do – don’t repeat the mistakes of last time.

Cameron was the biggest mistake: he almost persuaded me to vote leave.
At least that is one mistake they shouldn't be making again.
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:06 am

For you, hairy, and for me and for many others, I suggest that no 7 is one of the most important.
7. Organise in the real world: Ranting online is cathartic, but talking calmly with real people is a game-changer. Join grassroots groups to help with this.
atticus

Postby dls » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:58 pm

The way forward, if it exists at all for remainers, is to have a party put forward a simple 'stay' in a maifesto at a general election. Everything else is . . (sorry unable to find a polite word this late).
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:18 pm

The thread, David, is about how to fight a referendum campaign, not the next General Election.
atticus

Postby dls » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:49 pm

I hope that we have all learned that referendum campaigns are almost inherently disastrous.

They are neither convincing nor conclusive. Any issue which might be put to a referendum should be decided rather in the way I suggested - a general election is called, and any party which feels so inclined can prepare a clear policy and ask people to vote for it.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:29 pm

A reply worthy of Michael Howard! I shall not ask 14 times.
atticus

Next

Return to Brexit