Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Project Fear, David Davis style

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Project Fear, David Davis style

Postby atticus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:54 am

David Davis wrote the PM a letter, plainly written so that it could be leaked I mean published in friendly organs of the mainstream media. James O'Brien rather laid into it on LBC
David Davis: "I am writing to draw your and fellow members of the European Union Exit And Trade Committee's attention to a growing number of instances where the UK is treated differently by the EU institutions."

James O'Brien: What the hell did you expect to happen when you voted to leave the European Union, David?

David Davis: "The UK is treated differently by the EU institutions, before we leave the EU and in a way which is frequently damaging for UK interests."

James O'Brien: What? Oh my giddy aunt, colour me shocked. Who could possibly have seen that coming, Secretary Of State For Leaving The European Union?

David Davis: "The EU has adopted a number of measures that put agreements of contracts at risk of being terminated in the event of a no-deal scenario."

James O'Brien: What? No! You told the European Union that the UK could walk away with no deal at all and they have put measures and agreements and contracts in place that accommodate the possibility of a no-deal scenario. Well those dirty rotten Johnny Foreigners. Honestly, telling them that we were prepared to walk away with no deal and then they have the gall, the audacity to actually prepare for that possibility?

David Davis: "This would require UK companies to relocate to another member state."

James O'Brien: That's Project Fear, David! When people said that companies may have to relocate to another EU member state in order to retain the benefits of being a member of the European Union, that was Project Fear.
atticus

Re: Project Fear, David Davis style

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:28 pm

Well obviously, if it is project fear then it can't possibly be true.
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:34 pm

Indeed.

Arron Banks (person of allegedly questionable character and major funder of Brexit campaign Leave.Eu) gave the game away on a Radio 4 news programme* after the referendum. He said something along the lines that "Project Fear" was a stroke of genius. It meant that leaders of the Leave campaign did not need to answer economic arguments, which they knew they wouldn't win. All they had to say was "There you go again, Project Fear".

*PM, 14 December 2016 (I have just checked - I recalled I heard this driving my car back after a service)
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Well hey, that's democracy...
Hairyloon

Postby atticus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:36 pm

That is quite cynical.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:34 pm

Which reminds me: I owe thanks to whoever here pointed me at Burke. It is much more thorough and poignant than I had read at first glance.
Shame that we have abandoned it so completely.
Hairyloon

Postby Hairyloon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:25 pm

atticus wrote:That is quite cynical.

Only "Quite"? I must be mellowing with age.
Hairyloon

Postby shootist » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 am

Hairyloon wrote:Which reminds me: I owe thanks to whoever here pointed me at Burke. It is much more thorough and poignant than I had read at first glance.
Shame that we have abandoned it so completely.

Perhaps you should move on to Hare then.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." MLK.
shootist

Postby diy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:10 pm

I believe we were told very clearly we could not commence our post brexit rest of the world trade negotiations until after we had left the block. It is therefore important that the EU also abides by the same restriction and does not take action prior to brexit.

Perhaps we should get on with our negotiations now, if all bets are off.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Hairyloon » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:09 pm

diy wrote:I believe we were told very clearly we could not commence our post brexit rest of the world trade negotiations until after we had left the block. It is therefore important that the EU also abides by the same restriction and does not take action prior to brexit...

I may be mistaken, and I appreciate that it is an alien concept in some quarters and it is certainly a four letter word, but it is my understanding that what they are doing her is making a plan...
Hairyloon

Next

Return to Brexit