Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Northern Ireland

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Northern Ireland

Postby dls » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:36 pm

I am not about to suggest that I have an answer, but this may yet prove to be the last issue standing.

In very general terms -
If there is to be any kind of customs difference between the UK and Europe, then every part of the UK has to be on one side of the border or the other.

The obvious, and (to me) proper place for that border, if as the Europeans insist, we must have one, is such that Northern Ireland is on teh same side of it as the rest of the UK.

Given that the government of Southern Ireland has always had at least a preference for a united Ireland, it is not unexpected that they should suggest, and possibly stick out for, the customs border being around the whole of Ireland, creating instead a customs border between the rest of the UK and Northern Ireland. The solution does not remove the problem or deal with it or help in any way. It merely places it in somebody else's back yard.

That seems to me to be a transparent attempt simply to divide the UK, and to take a substantial step toward a re-unification of Ireland. It is such an undermining step that I cannot see how it can be viewed as other than mischievous (putting it as politely as I can).

Personally, if that is what the people of Northern Ireland, by some very substantial majority, then I would be fine with it.

A huge difficulty in all this is that you have to be over sixty to remember times when, with no membership of the EC, we used to pop across the channel without any trouble at all to holiday or work just about anywhere outside Eastern Europe. It was particularly easy with Ireland. There was no border checkpoints. It was a common joke that the border between Eire and Northern Ireland was usually simply invisible. I seem to remember a TV program about a town which straddled that border which simply passed down the High Street, No passports were needed to travel from Dublin to Holyhead unless you were neither British nor Irish. Much like our House of Lords it was 'aw a muddle', but it just worked. I am sure that with continued or renewed good will it can work again.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Re: Northern Ireland

Postby diy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:02 pm

Until we know what kind of trading deal the UK will have, I can't see how this can ever be dealt with in phase 1. The RoI economy would vanish if the UK had hard brexit and lowered corporation tax to attract business. Most of their tech business is due to taxation advantage.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby atticus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:06 pm

It is a statement of the remarkably obvious that if the Brexit ideologues have their way and the UK leaves the EU, the Single Market and the Customs Union, there will have to be a hard border.
atticus - a very stable genius
atticus

Postby 3.14 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:06 pm

dls wrote:...to take a substantial step toward a re-unification of Ireland.
It is what needs to happen at some point, why not now.
Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby gid » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Goes to show that the single market is as much about trade barriers as it is about free trade.
gid

Postby shootist » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:25 pm

atticus wrote:It is a statement of the remarkably obvious that if the Brexit ideologues have their way and the UK leaves the EU, the Single Market and the Customs Union, there will have to be a hard border.

But, as suggested in the OP, a border that is 'invisible'. There might be very little difficulty in agreeing to a 'hard border' on paper and then simply not bothering, at least in the south to north direction.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby atticus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:31 pm

How few seconds does it need to realise what a poor idea that is?
atticus

Postby atticus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:32 pm

The single market is about free trade within it.
atticus

Postby diy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:32 pm

We'll see if the EU hangs RoI out to dry in order to get the 50bn. My thinking is they wont take TMs bate.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby shootist » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:57 pm

atticus wrote:How few seconds does it need to realise what a poor idea that is?

Probably about the same number as it takes to read the OP and understand that for a very long time that was how it worked.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Next

Return to Brexit