Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Looks like some truth has escaped from Brussels

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Looks like some truth has escaped from Brussels

Postby shootist » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:28 am

And from the BBC too!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40433450

The UK's departure from the EU will leave a budget shortfall of at least €10bn (£8.8bn; $11.4bn), the budget commissioner has warned.
Günther Oettinger said the bloc must either spend less or find new money to fill the gap, equivalent to an estimated 16% of the entire budget.
Among the options on the table could be less generous payments to farmers or a tax on financial transactions.
"A big country, a net contributor is leaving," Mr Oettinger said.
"That must have consequences."
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Re: Looks like some truth has escaped from Brussels

Postby atticus » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:20 am

well that is remarkably obvious and nothing new. And remember that prior to last year's referendum the EU (with the UK as an active member) made all kinds of long term commitments. The Brexit negotiations will no doubt include whether the UK can avoid contributing to those ongoing liabilities. This point has previously been discussed in the Brexit forum.
atticus

Return to Brexit