Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Northern Ireland

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Re: Northern Ireland

Postby atticus » Mon May 15, 2017 5:34 am

Yes, I can see that the political situation in Austria may affect the nature of the land border with Ireland.
atticus

Postby diy » Mon May 15, 2017 8:10 am

I suspect the EU's solution would be for NI to become part of RoI and then everything is simple, Same for Gibraltar and Spain.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby shootist » Mon May 15, 2017 11:45 am

diy wrote:I suspect the EU's solution would be for NI to become part of RoI and then everything is simple, Same for Gibraltar and Spain.

Indeed, and why on earth should the people living there have any say in the matter?
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby miner » Mon May 15, 2017 2:55 pm

atticus wrote:Yes, I can see that the political situation in Austria may affect the nature of the land border with Ireland.

I'm glad you can see that it may, given that the EU has chosen to introduce the matter of the Eire-NI border into the Brexit negotiations and that the outcome of the anticipated Austrian election this autumn may well have some influence on those negotiations.

For the record, my hope is that Norbert Hofer, the leader of the anti-EU Freedom Party, will finally become the next Austrian Chancellor.
Last edited by miner on Mon May 15, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miner

Postby miner » Mon May 15, 2017 3:09 pm

shootist wrote:
diy wrote:I suspect the EU's solution would be for NI to become part of RoI and then everything is simple, Same for Gibraltar and Spain.

Indeed, and why on earth should the people living there have any say in the matter?

Because half a dozen creatures in the EU hierarchy clearly know much better than the 1.8 million people who actually live in Northern Ireland and the 32,000 inhabitants of Gibraltar what is good for them. Much better. ;)
miner

Postby atticus » Mon May 15, 2017 3:18 pm

No surprises there.
atticus

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Mon May 15, 2017 9:51 pm

miner wrote:For the record, my hope is that Norbert Hofer, the leader of the anti-EU Freedom Party, will finally become the next Austrian Chancellor.

Herr Hofer isn't even leader of the FPÖ, Heinz-Christian Strache is. Herr Hofer was the FPÖ's candidate for the largely-ceremonial position of President.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby miner » Mon May 15, 2017 11:23 pm

Thank you for that correction, Stoaty. Much appreciated. You clearly have more time than I do at the moment to devote to the minutaæ of the subject!
miner

Postby Voldemort » Tue May 16, 2017 10:06 am

miner wrote:For the record, my hope is that Norbert Hofer, the leader of the anti-EU Freedom Party, will finally become the next Austrian Chancellor.

I understand the blue cornflower is a firm favourite of Herr Hoffer. Maybe he just likes the colour…
Last edited by atticus on Tue May 16, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: for the record, I did not say that I support fascists. miner did. inaccurate attribution of quotation corrected.
Voldemort

Postby diy » Wed May 17, 2017 1:02 pm

I see french farmers are worried about who will buy their goods when the UK leaves the EU and is pushing for a hard border, to prevent cheap goods from outside the EU finding there way in to the EU via NI.

I'd have thought they'd be more worried about where their subsidies were coming from.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

PreviousNext

Return to Brexit