Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

EU citizens rights

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Re: EU citizens rights

Postby dls » Sun May 14, 2017 9:29 am

I don't get what is so complex?

An EU citizen living in America under the green card scheme has no right to EU justice, just as I assume an American citizen with residency rights in France.

Agreed, but that is not what anybody is thinking either of offering or accepting. It may be that a scheme similar to that in the Green Card scheme might be best, but what is happening is the Labour is offering immediately in election to grant the EU's demands. It does not know what they are, and some appear to be impossible to accept.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Sun May 14, 2017 10:48 am

dls wrote:The point is not about fundamental rights. It is about all the incidental rights granted under EU legislation.

The point is about which rights: the fundamentals are the starting point.

All those living here will continue to have the benefit of the protection of the ECHR.

For the time being. The Former Home Secretary has expressed a keen desire to be rid of that particular obligation.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby daffy » Sun May 14, 2017 5:16 pm

dls wrote:The point is not about fundamental rights. It is about all the incidental rights granted under EU legislation.

Take for instance pension entitlements of EU citizen working in the UK. Under current arrangements they would be paid the same as British citizens, regardless in which EU country the EU citizens finally retire. Once the UK leaves the EU this rule may no longer apply, especially the one that increases the payments by some formula. So pension rights built up by EU citizens in Britain over decades are throun into uncertainty. Which makes me think the best way for many EU citizens would be to retire in Britain, rather than return to their countries of origin.

daffy
daffy

Postby atticus » Sun May 14, 2017 5:18 pm

And vice versa, of course.
atticus

Previous

Return to Brexit