Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Brussels gossip

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Re: Brussels gossip

Postby diy » Fri May 05, 2017 7:09 am

germany has a real fear that they will be expected to take over the role of sole sugar daddy if they don't get some sort of exit fee from the UK.

The bit i don't get is the inability to reign in spending? Businesses do it, Governments do it, even councils try. Most people accept that when their income drops they have to tighten spending. Not the EU, they seem to be like an old mainframe software company who issues letters of audit to customers who don't want to buy their stuff anymore to squeeze the last drops out rather than making stuff people want.
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri May 05, 2017 7:31 am

Apart from the 3.3% cut agreed at the start of the current 7 year budgetary cycle, obviously.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Fri May 05, 2017 7:56 am

dls wrote:The EU sees itself as an absolute force for good; that life within the EU is necessarily better than outside and that therefore any exit from the EU must by some force of logic, leave us in a worse position...

Is that what you think it means? I took it to mean no more than in terms of our dealings with the EU: to return to the club analogy, you don't get better access to the club's facilities than club members.
That ought to be so obvious that it goes without saying, and on that basis, perhaps saying we'd be worse off means more than that, but I don't know that the Former Home Secretary doesn't need lessons in the bleeding obvious. :?
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby atticus » Fri May 05, 2017 8:51 am

The signs are that the PM's pitch for the UKIP vote is working.

At least Nuttall has a safe seat on Question Time.
atticus

Postby dls » Fri May 05, 2017 9:35 am

Is that what you think it means?

No

I took it to mean no more than in terms of our dealings with the EU: to return to the club analogy, you don't get better access to the club's facilities than club members.

That is the EU line, but I do not remember anyone suggesting that. We of course can say that we want as good as we can get, but nobody has predicted or expected it as an outcome.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Fri May 05, 2017 10:09 am

dls wrote:
I took it to mean no more than in terms of our dealings with the EU: to return to the club analogy, you don't get better access to the club's facilities than club members.

That is the EU line, but I do not remember anyone suggesting that. We of course can say that we want as good as we can get, but nobody has predicted or expected it as an outcome.

Nobody except the Cabinet. :roll:
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby miner » Fri May 05, 2017 11:25 am

atticus wrote:The signs are that the PM's pitch for the UKIP vote is working.

Well, you should be happy, then.

Given that we a re leaving the EU, the fundamental raison d'être of the UKIP is basically over. Nigel Farage has done a good job.
miner

Postby atticus » Fri May 05, 2017 11:28 am

Yes, the faragiste infiltration and takeover of the tory party is complete. Last night's Question Time showed the extent to which the asylum is now run by the lunatics.

That may please you. It displeases me.
atticus

Postby miner » Fri May 05, 2017 12:13 pm

You and Stoaty must live on some other planet, if not even in some other galaxy! "Planet Delusion", maybe?
miner

Postby atticus » Fri May 05, 2017 12:30 pm

I am happy to accept that you live on a different planet.
atticus

PreviousNext

Return to Brexit