Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Brussels gossip

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Brussels gossip

Postby diy » Tue May 02, 2017 11:22 am

So we had hoped that the EU and our European friends would not attempt to meddle with our general election. But it would appear that they are doing what they can to undermine our current PMs attempt to strengthen her hand? Or are they genuinely annoyed that we are turning are nose up at the idea of handing then 50bn, submitted to ECJ rule and supervision of financial markets?
My suggestions are not legal advice
diy

Re: Brussels gossip

Postby shootist » Tue May 02, 2017 12:47 pm

A vain hope that! The EU will do everything in it's power to sabotage Brexit, either to try and stop it or to inflict as much damage as possible on the UK.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby Hairyloon » Tue May 02, 2017 1:33 pm

It couldn't possibly be that our Former Home Secretary is such an odious baggage. Nor that her Three Brexiteers are obnoxious idiots at best.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby dls » Tue May 02, 2017 1:52 pm

And when she said the UK owes no money to the EU, the president informed her that she was not leaving a "golf club".

and

Mr Juncker said there would be no trade deal between the UK and the rest of the EU if the UK failed to pay the "divorce" bill which it is expected to be asked for.

So he is happy to dismiss one inconvenient if inappropriate metaphor which happens not to suit him, but then is happy to use an even more inappropriate metaphor which does happen to suit.

So it is OK for Juncker to angle for or contemplate a hard Brexit, but not anyone else? The EU seems to be approaching this still on the basis that we are a client state with a begging bowl.
The reality about this is that it is not the EU which trades, but the businesses within EU member states. It is just possible that the rather desperate looking unity will disappear as the conflict of interest of the Commission becomes more apparent.

These are hugely important negotiations, and at the outset, each side will and must set out a position representing the high point of success. If either in fact turn out to achieve all that they said they wanted, then they will not have been asking for enough. The viewpoints necessarily conflict hugely, and what is left after will appear a mixed and shabby compromise.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Tue May 02, 2017 2:14 pm

There is a lot of posturing at the moment - on all sides.

Given the range of matters to be dealt with, the likely compromise will be mixed.

Compromises which enable both sides to move forward are not shabby.
atticus

Postby dls » Tue May 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Compromises which enable both sides to move forward are not shabby.

I agree, but that does not mean that it will not be called shabby - whatever it is - by Labour, LDs and SNP and UKIP.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby atticus » Tue May 02, 2017 2:54 pm

But you used the word, David.
atticus

Postby miner » Tue May 02, 2017 3:23 pm

Unfortunately, I cannot perceive the slightest indication of any possibility of meaningful negotiations taking place, given the EU's attitude.

We must remember that the EU's hierarchy is used to bullying and getting its own way, not meaningfully negotiating or compromising. Look at its track record over the last 25 years, since Maastricht. Where has there been any "compromise" or meaningful negotiation by the EU? Their idea of negotiation is to issue Diktats, and that is essentially what the EU response to Article 50 is.

"Agreement" on the document by the other 27 Member countries was an EU stunt which had the appearance of an event staged by the former USSR Politburo.

I cannot see TM having too much patience with these people. She could do worse than to heed the advice of Yanis Varoufakis: 'My Brexit advice to Theresa May is to avoid negotiating at all costs'

Of course, in reality there has to be an attempt at entering into negotiations, but if the EU expects to implement the preconditions as set out its response document - something which should become clear in the next few months - then it will be impossible for the UK to negotiate. If the intransigence continues, then we should just leave, adopt WTO rules in the interim and let the EU stew in its own arrogant stupidity without any UK contributions. It'll have either broken up or have evolved into some very different and insignificant entity within the next few years anyway.

I find the very notion of the UK being dictated to by some rude, offensive, often drunken, unelected creature in Brussels with a less than stellar prior track record highly offensive. Furthermore, there is in my view no chance whatsoever of true agreement being reached by the other 27 member countries on anything.
miner

Postby atticus » Tue May 02, 2017 3:31 pm

Your habitual rudeness to and about others leads you to think that all others are like you. The good news is that they are not.
atticus

Postby miner » Tue May 02, 2017 4:17 pm

Atticus, get used to the fact that I no longer care about your "holier-than-thou" opinions. I find much of what you write to be offensive.
miner

Next

Return to Brexit