Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Mugwump

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Mugwump

Postby miner » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:08 am

Well, "Mugwump" is a word I'd never seen or heard of until today in the UK media. (allegedly used by Boris Johnson)

It seems it is North American in origin:

"a person who remains aloof or independent, especially from party politics".

Well, one lives and learns. Had anyone else here ever heard of the word prior to today? Despite having spent a significant part of my life in N America, I had never come across this strange word before.

In any event it seems to be a perfect noun as applied as it was to Jeremy Corbyn.

Boris Johnson has US family connections, as I recall, so it's perhaps unsurprising that it was within Boris' repartee.
miner

Re: Mugwump

Postby atticus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:02 am

Words miner may not have previously heard of:

repertoire.
atticus

Postby miner » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:11 pm

The Oxford English Dictionary describes a mugwump as “one who holds more or less aloof from party-politics, professing disinterested and superior views”

It seems to describe you quite well, Atticus! :)
miner

Postby atticus » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:18 pm

Thus proving that in using that word to describe Corbyn, Boris once more has no idea what he is talking about.
atticus

Postby miner » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:45 pm

atticus wrote:Thus proving that in using that word to describe Corbyn, Boris once more has no idea what he is talking about.

"Proves"? it proves nothing of the sort.

"a person who remains aloof or independent, especially from party politics".

Well, .... Corbyn is aloof, and he frequently acts and conducts himself independently of the politics of his own party.

In the eyes of many if not most reasonable people, "mugwump" is a perfect description for Corbyn.

It strikes me that you are the one who has no idea of what you're talking about!
miner

Postby atticus » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:25 pm

Last I checked, he was leader of a political party, leading his political party in an election campaign being contested against other political parties.
atticus

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:50 pm

The Former Home Secretary discusses mugwump in a radio interview...
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby shootist » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:10 pm

In my regrettably distant childhood I can recall the term being used by adults when wanting to describe someone generally as an idiot or a fool. It may well have a different meaning for persons from a different class background.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby miner » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:47 am

I think it's the second syllable which makes up the word which somehow makes it perhaps sound insulting, but most of the definitions which I came across didn't indicate that it is insulting per se.
miner

Postby Labrador » Mon May 01, 2017 9:24 am

A member from a different forum has the username Mugwump, he should omit the wump imo.
:arrow:
Labrador

Next

Return to Brexit