Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Shutting the Stable door...

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Shutting the Stable door...

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:33 am

The Electoral Commission has launched an investigation into spending on the European Union referendum by the campaign group Leave.EU, it has announced.

The Commission says the investigation will focus on whether the Brexit-supporting campaign took “impermissible” donations and said there were “reasonable grounds to suspect that potential offences” may have been committed by the campaign.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 95841.html
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Re: Shutting the Stable door...

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:09 am

I'm not sure what your objection is. Surely investigations have to come after the alleged offence has taken place.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:45 am

Smouldering Stoat wrote:I'm not sure what your objection is. Surely investigations have to come after the alleged offence has taken place.

Did I object?
My point is to wonder what is the point of these rules if no enforcement is taken until long after it can make any difference.
Hairyloon

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:12 am

What is the point of having laws against murder if no enforcement is taken until long after it can make any difference?

Political parties and other participants submit returns of donations and spending (and other stuff). Returns of spending in the period immediately before an election necessarily come in after the result, but others are made earlier. Sometimes things come to light later which suggest they are incorrect.

The Commission has taken enforcement action on the basis of early returns: for example by making parties return impermissible donations before they could be spent.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby Hairyloon » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:44 am

Smouldering Stoat wrote:What is the point of having laws against murder if no enforcement is taken until long after it can make any difference?

That is a bit different: it is about punishing/rehabilitating the offender. You cannot incarcerate a party, and you're not likely to rehabilitate them with an insignificant fine.

The Commission has taken enforcement action on the basis of early returns: for example by making parties return impermissible donations before they could be spent.

This is not really a Brexit discussion: should it be moved?
Hairyloon

Postby tph » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:12 am

Should the electoral commission be investigating a referendum? As we have already discussed the two are completely different.
tph

Postby atticus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:15 am

Why, tp, should the Electoral Commission not concern itself with something that comes within its remit?
atticus

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:20 am

One of the reasons the Commission was set up was because there was no regulator for referendums.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby tph » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:22 am

atticus wrote:Why, tp, should the Electoral Commission not concern itself with something that comes within its remit?

Where is their remit published?
tph

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:31 am

Smouldering Stoat

Next

Return to Brexit