Discussing UK law. Links: swarb.co.uk | law-index | Acts | Members Image galleries

Snap Election!

For discussion of all matters relating to the UK's departure from the European Union

Re: Snap Election!

Postby shootist » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:49 am

Why should it be necessary for May to offer anything new? It is clear that she is seeking support from the country for cohesion in dealing with the most difficult issue since the war. OTOH Corbyn is offering the usual class war and has nothing to lose by offering the unachievable with empty promises.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death my right to be offended by it."
shootist

Postby dls » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:12 pm

Tories 'I wonder how we can rig democracy?' - 'I know - let's call an election'

Labour 'They're trying to rig democracy. What shall we do' - 'I know - let's vote for it'
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:26 pm

Corbyn has promised to stay on if he loses the election. Perhaps he should promise to he step down if he wins...
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby 3.14 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Hide in the noise. #hackerwisdom

Postby tph » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:50 pm

shootist wrote:Why should it be necessary for May to offer anything new? It is clear that she is seeking support from the country for cohesion in dealing with the most difficult issue since the war. OTOH Corbyn is offering the usual class war and has nothing to lose by offering the unachievable with empty promises.

I'm not saying she should, I was pointing out that people are more likely to vote for a change than the status quo. We shall have to see what is in their manifesto. I think Labour may attract a lot of votes from the younger generation.
tph

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:38 pm

tph wrote:I'm not saying she should, I was pointing out that people are more likely to vote for a change than the status quo. We shall have to see what is in their manifesto. I think Labour may attract a lot of votes from the younger generation

There have been 19 general elections since the war but only 8 of them have resulted in a change of government. (9 if you count 2015, which you shouldn't.) and two of those have been hung Parliaments. People are far more likely to vote for the status quo. Better to cling to the skirts of nurse, for fear of finding something worse.

Young people were heavily remain, too. That ended well.
Smouldering Stoat

Postby atticus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:47 pm

As a gloss on that, governments lose elections. They lose elections when the electorate as a whole ceases to trust them and judges that the alternative presents a better prospect. I do not sense that mood now.

Any changes will be at the edges. Labour may lose a few seats, as may the SNP. I doubt either will lose as many MPs as some are predicting.

I think the Lib Dems will pick up some seats. My view is that they will do well to get to 15 MPs, much as I would like to see them get to 30 plus.

Those are my thoughts. But what do I know?
atticus

Postby dls » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:02 pm

I think you are about right. May does not need a huge number of additional MPs.

She needs to be able to tell the swivel eyes to take a hike, and to tell the EU that she is her own woman and has her own mandate.
David Swarbrick (Admin) dswarb@gmail.com - 0795 457 9992
dls
Site Admin

Postby Hairyloon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Smouldering Stoat wrote:Young people were heavily remain, too. That ended well.

Why so? Because they did not turn out.
Perhaps Brexit will give them a kick up the backside.
Take me to your lizard...
Hairyloon

Location: From there to here and here to there... Funny things are everywhere.

Postby Smouldering Stoat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:08 pm

Perhaps.
Smouldering Stoat

PreviousNext

Return to Brexit